Celeriac omelette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radders

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone tried making a Spanish omelette with celeriac instead of potato? The celeriac chips were good so I was wondering if this might work and if so the best way to go about it.

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Go on, @Radders, give it a go & show us what you're made of.:D

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Go on, @Radders, give it a go & show us what you're made of.:D
I probably will unless someone tells me it doesn’t work: but not today. Today i came across some breaded Camembert in Lidl and that would have been too much with Spanish omelette as well!

Omelette is good with most veg; potato, onion, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, carrots, asparagus, tomato the list goes on.
Yes indeed, I just fancy a Spanish omelette and don’t like what potatoes do to my levels!

Has anyone tried making a Spanish omelette with celeriac instead of potato? The celeriac chips were good so I was wondering if this might work and if so the best way to go about it.
Did you try this? I’ve had mixed success with celeriac. In a daphonnaise with cream it worked fine and in casserole Ok but mashed I didn’t like. Be good to know...

UK keyboards don't autocorrect French apparently ! LOL

Did you try this? I’ve had mixed success with celeriac. In a daphonnaise with cream it worked fine and in casserole Ok but mashed I didn’t like. Be good to know...
Not yet Sally, but it’s on my list to try.

Tried the celeriac omelette and liked it. I thought it made a very passable Spanish omelette. My OH liked it as well and I could tell he didn’t expect to!
I think celeriac is proving to be my favourite carb substitute.
I cut four full slices about 1/2 cm thick from a huge celeriac (about a kg to start with!) and cut it into rough rectangles about 2-3 cm across. I fried these in olive oil until lightly browned then added a finely chopped onion. Once this was cooked I added 4 lightly beaten large eggs and a sprinkle of paprika then put the lid on to cook it on both sides. Served it with roast tomatoes and sautéed baby corn and asparagus.
Next experiment will be celeriac Dauphinoise but since I have never actually tried making the potato version it should be interesting!
Does anyone know whether the peel is edible as you do get such a lot of it and I was thinking if it was scrubbed before peeling I could make soup with it. I wonder because it is slightly green and reminded me of green potatoes which I know you aren’t meant to eat.

The peel probably is edible, but I wouldn't fancy it. I once added butternut squash to a stew without peeling it. The skin was horrible.

I was planning on cooking and then liquidising it, but I’m not sure how to try it without a lot of waste if it turns out to be horrid.
I’ve been saving the bits of cauliflowers, cabbage and broccoli that I used to throw away and making soup with those with some success.

The peel probably is edible, but I wouldn't fancy it. I once added butternut squash to a stew without peeling it. The skin was horrible.
Was it the taste or the texture that was bad?

So if it was liquidised in a soup that would probably be ok?
I would imagine so, yes. Actually, thinking about it, wife made a butternut squash soup & kept the skin on. Didn't notice it once blended.

Tried the celeriac omelette and liked it. I thought it made a very passable Spanish omelette. My OH liked it as well and I could tell he didn’t expect to!
I cut four full slices about 1/2 cm thick from a huge celeriac (about a kg to start with!) and cut it into rough rectangles about 2-3 cm across. I fried these in olive oil until lightly browned then added a finely chopped onion. Once this was cooked I added 4 lightly beaten large eggs and a sprinkle of paprika then put the lid on to cook it on both sides. Served it with roast tomatoes and sautéed baby corn and asparagus.
Next experiment will be celeriac Dauphinoise but since I have never actually tried making the potato version it should be interesting!
Does anyone know whether the peel is edible as you do get such a lot of it and I was thinking if it was scrubbed before peeling I could make soup with it. I wonder because it is slightly green and reminded me of green potatoes which I know you aren’t meant to eat.[/QUOTE
Does anyone know whether the peel is edible as you do get such a lot of it and I was thinking if it was scrubbed before peeling I could make soup with it. I wonder because it is slightly green and reminded me of green potatoes which I know you aren’t meant to eat.
check our BBC good food recipe: haddock spinach celeriac bake. I make my celeriac daphonniase like this (just dont put the haddock in top) although you could leave out spinach and it would be similar to potato. I just keep spinach in because it’s heathy veg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back