cats and their humans with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitchy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Daniella,

All the best for tomorrow, I hope the meeting goes well & the headteacher has some good ideas for making something positive out of all this! 🙂

All the best,

Twitchy 🙂

ps - Copepod - good point re teaching kids not to go near someone with a needle in hand so they don't jolt them - my little lad, hubby & cat at least have been well & truely trained! 😉

Training cats

Twitchy - I'd love to know how you trained your cat - mine jumps on or off my shoulders at the most unexpected moments! Humans I can explain to, but she doesn't understand "get off" until I've moved her off my shoulders at least 3 times. Since she can jump from floor to shoulder (about 5ft), just moving away from high points where she's sitting doesn't work.
But, that's derailing from dealing with inappropriate comments from adult humans...

You go Girl!!! :D Well done!! It is so horrible & stressful when you feel under attack like that, especially when it's targeted, or feels like it's targeted at your kid, but you did exactly the right thing - beat down that woman's ignorance & bigotry with the cold hard facts! Well done! (Hopefully she's now feeling horribly embarrassed - the biter bit! On a positive note, maybe she'll learn something from all this & be a better nurse for it.)

Well done! Fingers crossed for calm now in the run-up to Christmas - you deserve a rest! 🙂

Copepod - actually, I was being a bit optimistic - I have however perfected a scary look that normally (!) either deters moggy, or prompts the OH into taking pre-emptive action to distract him! Guess I just have a really scary face when I concentrate! 😱

I've copied these posts from the "abuse from other parents" thread, as I fear Twitchy and I were getting close to derailing the serious issues raised in that thread. I had various cats before I had diabetes - some were family cats, but each tended to adopt a favourite human; then I had one personal cat who I had to rehome to a friend of a friend before going to work overseas, then had to come back when diagnosed. Current cat shares my partner and me (although it's just her and me when partner works overseas for several months each winter, when a furry hot water bottle is helpful!). She came with her sister who walked out of the garden one sunny day when she was only a few weeks old, and we never saw her again. That certainly affected present cat's behaviour - she was always the more affectionate of the two, but since her sister disappeared, she has remained very affectionate. I'm typing with her on my shoulders, which is pretty normal - fortunately, she's only little, but it doesn't improve my posture.
I did consider tying a wrapped sweet to her collar for hypos, but never carried out the plan, as one sweet wouldn't be enough, and she couldn't really carry 3 or 4, nor could I fix them firmly enough for them not to fall off, but not so firm that I could still get them off when hypoglycaemic.
I do tend to put her off my shoulders when standing in the kitchen for my insulin injection, as she's liable to jump off at just the wrong moment. But, if she's not on my shoulder, she's pretty liable to jump on at the worng moment, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back