Cataract issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happydays

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I had my eye test and its been confirmed I have Cataract in my eyes, I have seen the surgeon and had pre operation examinations, Not been advised when this will happen but soon was what I gathered from the assessment's, I was told not only my age but Diabetes are or could be a cause of this I do not know for sure. So when the operation happens I will let you know how it all went

I had my right eye done last year with sedation the difference is unbelievable. Since then they have been trying to get me back to have my other done but this time knock me out fully because I was a nightmare with sedation. But I’m not keen on being knocked out fully.

I had my right eye done last year with sedation the difference is unbelievable. Since then they have been trying to get me back to have my other done but this time knock me out fully because I was a nightmare with sedation. But I’m not keen on being knocked out fully.
I had both done at the end of last year a month apart. Both done under a local anaesthetic. Not the most pleasant experience but a massive difference. I was amazed when I saw the photos that they take for my retinal screening from before and after. Amazing and the colours that I see now are fabulous.

I had my first cataract done in June, and my second 2 weeks ago. I went to the hospital for a check up for the second one this morning and all went well. They corrected my vision in both eyes, i.e. I'm now long sighted but need reading glasses, the difference in my vision is amazing. The consultant informed me that people with diabetes get them earlier in life than the general population and my left eye was effecting my vision so they did that first. I had both done under general anaesthetic, and it was fine. I couldn't go through with the local as I'm claustrophic. If anyone wants to know what the local anaesthetic operation involves there's a video of it on the Guy's and St Thomas hospital website.

I had my first cataract done in June, and my second 2 weeks ago. I went to the hospital for a check up for the second one this morning and all went well. They corrected my vision in both eyes, i.e. I'm now long sighted but need reading glasses, the difference in my vision is amazing. The consultant informed me that people with diabetes get them earlier in life than the general population and my left eye was effecting my vision so they did that first. I had both done under general anaesthetic, and it was fine. I couldn't go through with the local as I'm claustrophic. If anyone wants to know what the local anaesthetic operation involves there's a video of it on the Guy's and St Thomas hospital website.
How was it do you have a prescription for glasses at all? I will look at the video you mention as well, thank you

So if others have to go through this here is the web link to the video mentioned by Type 1 Teddy many thanks put me at ease indeed just scroll down a bit

Hello, sorry for the delay in replying. I'm really pleased you found the video, I don't have a new prescription yet, the consultant informed me on Monday that I needed another 4 weeks before I saw the optician, to let the eye settle down properly, I'm currently using over the counter reading glasses, which are fine, but I'd like to see what the optician says, although the consultant said I could choose to continue with these. The general anaesthetic was fine, you go to sleep seconds after it's given and wake up with everything done. My only side affect was a sore throat for a few days from the oxygen tube they put on during the op. My main stress was ensuring I didn't have a hypo before the operation as you have to be nil by mouth from midnight and though I don't usually hypo overnight there's always that one time .. . . Anyway ended up on temp basal both times and very high sugars before and after the op. The anaethetist was brilliant, understood exactly what was going on, ensured I was first to be operated on, so I could bring sugars down asap, and really staff were fantastic so all good. If you have any more questions please let me know.

I am supposedly having the first cataract done in October, second to follow at some point thereinafter. At present I am worried about how I will manage during the transitional period (before you can get new glasses). As well as short & long sightedness, astimagtism, I have awful double vision from a squint, currently controlled by prism in the glasses. The opticians wouldn't make up a pair of prism only glasses (said it would have to be a prescription pair, costly and useless for long); my only other option is to wear a eye patch on the eye they are not operating on. I reckon I won't be able to move around much. Keeping me awake at nights, as well as the op itself.

I am supposedly having the first cataract done in October, second to follow at some point thereinafter. At present I am worried about how I will manage during the transitional period (before you can get new glasses). As well as short & long sightedness, astimagtism, I have awful double vision from a squint, currently controlled by prism in the glasses. The opticians wouldn't make up a pair of prism only glasses (said it would have to be a prescription pair, costly and useless for long); my only other option is to wear a eye patch on the eye they are not operating on. I reckon I won't be able to move around much. Keeping me awake at nights, as well as the op itself.
After my first op, left eye, the consultant told me to take the left lenses out of my glasses and use them that way. This didn't really work for me but what did work was using contact lenses in my right eye with over the counter reading glasses.
I found info on the RNIB website about cataract removal (not sure if the link below works) I just goggled RNIB and cataracts. At the bottom of the page they have a couple of numbers for advice lines and they may be able to advise or reassure you.
https://www.rnib.org.uk/your-eyes/eye-conditions-az/cataracts/

After my first op, left eye, the consultant told me to take the left lenses out of my glasses and use them that way. This didn't really work for me but what did work was using contact lenses in my right eye with over the counter reading glasses.
I found info on the RNIB website about cataract removal (not sure if the link below works) I just goggled RNIB and cataracts. At the bottom of the page they have a couple of numbers for advice lines and they may be able to advise or reassure you.
https://www.rnib.org.uk/your-eyes/eye-conditions-az/cataracts/
Thank you Teddy 🙂 I can't wear contact lens and I don't think it would deal with the double vision from the squint. However, it's a great idea to call the advice line - I can't believe I am the only person with squint/double vision who has had cataract surgery! The DV is extreme so it is difficult to walk across a room without glasses. I have however got myself a patch, reading glasses...and will google non-prescription prism glasses just in case there is such a thing! Thank you again 🙂

I've been told that I have early signs of cataracts, and as a photographer that is a scary proposition...

Hope the op goes well @Happydays and your appointment comes through speedily.

I have now had the removal of cataracts in both eyes, it was painless and a quick operation, and the results
were brilliant as I no longer need to wear glasses. Good luck @Happydays I hope all goes well for you.

Thank you Teddy 🙂 I can't wear contact lens and I don't think it would deal with the double vision from the squint. However, it's a great idea to call the advice line - I can't believe I am the only person with squint/double vision who has had cataract surgery! The DV is extreme so it is difficult to walk across a room without glasses. I have however got myself a patch, reading glasses...and will google non-prescription prism glasses just in case there is such a thing! Thank you again 🙂
My pleasure, I hope they were useful, and you won't be the only one so fingers crossed for good advice.

Hello, sorry for the delay in replying. I'm really pleased you found the video, I don't have a new prescription yet, the consultant informed me on Monday that I needed another 4 weeks before I saw the optician, to let the eye settle down properly, I'm currently using over the counter reading glasses, which are fine, but I'd like to see what the optician says, although the consultant said I could choose to continue with these. The general anaesthetic was fine, you go to sleep seconds after it's given and wake up with everything done. My only side affect was a sore throat for a few days from the oxygen tube they put on during the op. My main stress was ensuring I didn't have a hypo before the operation as you have to be nil by mouth from midnight and though I don't usually hypo overnight there's always that one time .. . . Anyway ended up on temp basal both times and very high sugars before and after the op. The anaethetist was brilliant, understood exactly what was going on, ensured I was first to be operated on, so I could bring sugars down asap, and really staff were fantastic so all good. If you have any more questions please let me know.
Hi Sorry for late reply, but going through the mill at this time, just home from a blue light mini cab to hospital, feel in the dirt now but recovering slowly, What is a "temp basal" by the way ?

Hi Sorry for late reply, but going through the mill at this time, just home from a blue light mini cab to hospital, feel in the dirt now but recovering slowly, What is a "temp basal" by the way ?

Temporary basal rate.

I feel that the pre operation appointment I had takes a lot of worry away. Surgeon asked me if I had any questions to ask I had some, He also said on the day if I have any concern's to raise them be fore starting. So I think I am in good hands here, hope you can feel the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back