Carvery help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My hubby has reserved a table tonight at a local restaurant - there is tribute band on after.

How do I have a carvery ie meat, roast potatoes, veg, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy without weighing everything?

Hubby said to get a separate plate to put the potatoes, and stuffing on then I could weigh them but I feel stupid doing that - I just want to put the things on one plate like I've done in previous years and take a wild guess - it's only this last few months that I've become really frightened of guessing carbs.

I might also be having a couple of gin & diet cokes too.

I just want to enjoy myself for once

Last edited:
Put "Roast Dinner" into Nutracheck, that will give you a number of options under Pub & bar food. Pick the one closest to what you're actually having and the carb count should be close enough. You can always adjust later if you need to. Above all, enjoy your meal!

We usually just guess as follows:
Meat and most of the veg have negligible carbs so don’t count them
Daughter doesn’t like gravy so no idea what you do about that! Probably doesn’t have much carb
Same with apple sauce unless you’re spreading it liberally all over the plate
Stuffing balls are about 5-10 carbs each depending on size
Roast potatoes about 10-20 depending on size
Mash is a bit harder to guess, probably about 20 for a decent serving spoon size, or 10 each if it’s in ice-cream sized balls
Guess on the low side, if you go high and have to correct later that’s easier than having to deal with hypos!
Above all, enjoy your meal! You’re getting the hang of it - while you should be as accurate as you can with your carb counting, sometimes it just isn’t possible to be precise especially when eating out, so just do your best guess and sort it out later and have a good time!

We usually just guess as follows:
Meat and most of the veg have negligible carbs so don’t count them
Daughter doesn’t like gravy so no idea what you do about that! Probably doesn’t have much carb
Same with apple sauce unless you’re spreading it liberally all over the plate
Stuffing balls are about 5-10 carbs each depending on size
Roast potatoes about 10-20 depending on size
Mash is a bit harder to guess, probably about 20 for a decent serving spoon size, or 10 each if it’s in ice-cream sized balls
Guess on the low side, if you go high and have to correct later that’s easier than having to deal with hypos!
Above all, enjoy your meal! You’re getting the hang of it - while you should be as accurate as you can with your carb counting, sometimes it just isn’t possible to be precise especially when eating out, so just do your best guess and sort it out later and have a good time!
Our table is booked for 7:30pm so with me having a couple of drinks I will have to do a correction tomorrow morning because I'm very wary of taking fast acting at bedtime.
It's going to be a late night.
I will check my level when I get home at bedtime.

Hope you have a lovely time @mum2westiesGill

My guess would be it’s about time for them to be starting with that opening riff from ‘Summer of 69‘ 😛

The carvery is only on a Sunday & a Wednesday

So this was my meal - scampi and fries
20211022_195651.jpg

When I tested before my meal bg was 5.9 at 19:55pm. At 20:17pm I re-entered my before meal test result into the bolus advisor along with the carb amount and injected 6.5 units of humalog
I didn't weigh anything I took a chance and estimated the carb amount

Screenshot_20211024-160907_Carbs & Cals.jpg
At bedtime I was 10.1 but I did have 2x gin & diet cokes and 2x baileys when we were out. I also had 1x rich tea biscuit when we got in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back