Carrying Frio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have just bought a Frio as a lot of people on here speak highly of it.

One thing puzzles me. How do you carry it around with you? I carry my hypo kit around in a'man bag' and I assume the outside of the Frio gets wet (or does it)?

Can it be carried around in a bag?

It is best in an outside pocket so that the evaporation can take place which is how it keeps the insulin cool. I have only used them when I have a backpack with me and put it in one of the outer pockets.

I more often use a small thermos flask. I put that in the fridge before we go away. When we leave I put the insulin in there and stuff the thermos in my bag. When we go to a hotel I just put the thermos in the fridge. I find it protects the insulin and keeps it cool. If I have to use a fridge that is not in our room I out a clear label on it stating it is medical equipment.

For holidays we now usually don’t go for more than 28 days so then I don’t need to worry about special storage.

I have a medical bag that has an outer mesh pocket and I keep my Frio in that when I go away.

I have just bought a Frio as a lot of people on here speak highly of it.

One thing puzzles me. How do you carry it around with you? I carry my hypo kit around in a'man bag' and I assume the outside of the Frio gets wet (or does it)?

Can it be carried around in a bag?
I do not find they are very damp.
My Frio wallets are over 15 years old so they may have changed but they came with the pouch that you soak which maybe slightly damp and an outer "wallet" which kept my bag dry.

As you now have the wallets, why not try them out and see for yourself?
My only advice would be to avoid taking them out if you have very cold snowy weather as I have. You don't want the water to freeze.

Have you bought the Frio for every day use or for travelling because here in the UK your insulin is unlikely to overheat unless left in direct sun in a greenhouse/conservatory/car etc in the height of summer. The way your post was worded, it sounded to me like you might be thinking of using the Frio for every day use here in the UK and you would be carrying it unnecessarily in that case. In use insulin is happy for the stated period (4-6 weeks) from just above freezing to body temp. Apologies if I have read more into your post than you intended.

Many thanks to respondants. I am only going to use it for holidays and days out, Based on your answer I will use it in the outside pocket of my 'Man Bag' even when it is left in the car for a couple of hours.

Many thanks to respondants. I am only going to use it for holidays and days out, Based on your answer I will use it in the outside pocket of my 'Man Bag' even when it is left in the car for a couple of hours.
Never leave insulin in a car, unless it’s say a very short time in cool weather. Cars get very hot or very cold very easily.

Yes the outside doesn’t get wet at all, and the inside is only damp not wet.

I used frio for the first time in December in Mexico and I honestly don’t why I’ve never had one before. Even use it for short journeys now and I am looking forward to summer, being calmer about keeping my insulin safe.

Enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back