Status
Not open for further replies.

rosy_nic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone, long time no hear!

The zip on my accu-check Aviva Expert case has broken, I'm holding it together with an elastic band at the moment, so my meter does not fall out but does in my bag, I have recently had this one bought for me as a replacement case, It is big and fits everything and the insulin pen, but the lancet pen goes in the pouch, which is not great. I like the design and most cases available are big, and fit everything in. I'm just not sure what to do, Do any ideas?

Last edited:
My advice would be to not be limited by diabetes specific bags. What about a pencil case or toilet/make up bag?
And make sure it is big enough for all of your diabetes kit including hypo treatment and, as I am on on basal/bolus, I always carry both insulins. I cannot guarantee I will not stay out later and need my basal.
I always throw away the case my meter comes in as it just unnecessary packaging.
I use one of these - https://www.thehealthybackbag.co.uk/shop/category/bagletts

Have you tried asking Accu-Chek (aka Roche Pharma) if you can get another from them? I'd want to do that since mine is the enhanced version of the Expert that also communicates with my insulin pump, acts as the bolus wizard for it, and a a remote control for it. As no way could I afford to have random buttons pressed on the meter, because of its Bluetooth communication with my pump - I'd want a properly constructed case for it, to prevent that very thing happening - which the Roche case for it, is.

I'm just not sure what to do, Do any ideas?
Sounds like you have a replacement case already that fits everything in so keep using it. It’s the same as mine, I rarely use the lancet anyway but it fits both insulins, meter, test strips, lancer, daily pill case with 4 compartments, needles, glucose gel, mini cliff bar for after hypos, perfect!

I got THIS in grey as my everyday bag.
I don't change handbags often so this works for me. Was a birthday prezzie and appreciate its not a cheap solution.
What I do like about it is not only has the well though out assigned space for D stuff but its separated from my normal life stuff which helps me to not feel D is taking over my handbag.
Also has an insulated pouch built in so on a warm uk day I can shove pen(s) in there to keep them cooler when out n about.

I also have THIS case for going anywhere requiring a different bag. I got it when it was on sale on DUK shop and paid about £22 for it I think.

I've always been a little obsessive about having an organised bag, even pre diagnosis. 😉

Last edited:
oops updated the 2nd link, mustn't have copied it properly :D

oops updated the 2nd link, mustn't have copied it properly :D
Although the second case looks good, I am surprised it only contains space for one pen (although this seems to be common).
It is the minority of insulin uses only on one type of insulin and I would never leave the house without both - you never know when you may get waylaid and be out a "basal time".

I just have a backpack style handbag to carry all my gear about with me. Like @helli I always carry both "in use" pens Ie basal and bolus wherever I go and the NovoPen Echo comes with a dual case so both my pens are always in there inside my rucksack bag, with BG meter kit, hypo treatments, Libre reader, phone, money, bank cards and keys. I like that the backpack leaves my hands free to work, exercise or carry other stuff like shopping. I think I paid £22 for my current backpack handbag off ebay. It is just an everyday product not specifically for diabetes, but serves the purpose of having all my kit in one place that I can just pick up and take with me when I leave the house wherever I am going.

Although the second case looks good, I am surprised it only contains space for one pen (although this seems to be common).
It is the minority of insulin uses only on one type of insulin and I would never leave the house without both - you never know when you may get waylaid and be out a "basal time".
both pens do fit and can close it just fine. Novo 6 pen is a little longer but will (just) fit in the centre loop (yep I just tested :rofl: )
Screenshot 2023-08-29 170342.png
A clipper can fit in the meter pouch too.

I was being asked what I wanted for my birthday and was trying to find a new handbag to replace mine and had found the myabetic ranges and kinda loved them. :D

both pens do fit and can close it just fine. Novo 6 pen is a little longer but will (just) fit in the centre loop (yep I just tested :rofl: )
View attachment 27337
A clipper can fit in the meter pouch too.

I was being asked what I wanted for my birthday and was trying to find a new handbag to replace mine and had found the myabetic ranges and kinda loved them. :D
I just had to send the Banting wallet back because my Novopen Echo Plus were about 1cm too long. Maybe the size varies between colours/ batches?

20230830_070309.jpg20230830_0703431.jpg
Disposable pen is shorter but I put them in both spots to double check. (no reusable option for abasaglar)
Mine was purchased about a year ago but maybe there are size discrepancies amongst batches or they have had a redesign somewhere along the way (and who would even know what production run each came from).
I *think* the echo and 6 pens are the same size but its hard to find actual dimensions. I'm basing this entirely on etsy full pen wraps being sold as suitable for both pens - I know quality science right here! 😉
Once zipped the middle pen straightens up and fits as snugly as the left slot does.

That's a shame it didn't work out for you JJay. :(

Here’s some photos of mine which I believe is the same as yours @rosy_nic

Attachments

• IMG_8636.jpeg
    IMG_8636.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8637.jpeg
    IMG_8637.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back