Carry case for diabetic supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leanne-618

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi,
I'm wanting to get a bag to put all of my sons supplies in for when we're out and about, he's at school and for making it easier at the airport when we fly in June.
Is there a certain bag someone can suggest or will any back-pack type bag do?
Thanks

I have no experience of keeping insulin but I have heard these bags being bandied about.

http://www.friouk.com/

I use a pencil case for my short acting own, spare short acting insulin cartridge and spare long acting insulin cartridge, which fits same pen. For longer trips, extra spare cartridges are in a clip lick box or plastic tub, which I can put in fridge. That box / rub, plus long acting insulin pen are in a bum bag, that fits in hand luggage when travelling, whether plane, ferry, bus, train, car, bus, backpacking etc. In hostel rooms, I clip the strap round bunk frame. If travelling in hot conditions, I keep insulin not in use in a small stainless steel vacuum flask, which protects cartridges from knocks as well as extremes of temperature. I add cool water, except when passing through airport security. All cheap options, as I already owned the items, although I need to replace pencil case every few years.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to have a little look around and see what might work best for us. I do like the idea of those diabetic-ezy bags. They seem much more robust for taking to and from school, etc.

Copepod - the flask idea sounds perfect for when we're travelling in June. I'm a bit overwhelmed at what needs to be taken but I've got time to really think about it all.

We're going to Tenerife so a 4 hour journey. Im really hoping I'll be into the swing of things before then

Frio bags are good for keeping the insulin cool when travelling, I don't tend to use it otherwise though.
Day to day we tend to use Smiggle bags, they are supposed to be pencil cases, lunch bags etc but are just the right size for meter, emergency glucose, couple of spare cannulas and anything else you need for the day!

I've always used Frios ever since they invented em! As long as you have access to cold tap water, wherever you happen to be - that's all you need.

However make sure you have spare insulin in the fridge at home cos after a fortnight out of the fridge somewhere nice and warm, even in a flask or Frio - all the in-use and spare stuff you took with you will most likely be useless. I also had a small 2-pen Frio that my in use pen was always kept in on hols, somewhere in my handbag/rucky, depending on location/time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back