Carpets and flooring for diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

@SuttonDUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi everyone, I have been approached by someone who is looking for advise on the best sort of carpet / flooring for those with diabetes. Any thoughts?

Makes no difference as long as they wear slippers, which are a lot cheaper that a new carpet or flooring.

As now being an elderly lady with diabetes I'd say the most important thing apart from absolutely NO trip hazards - is the ease of keeping whatever it is, clear of clutter and clean, for the owner.

Hi everyone, I have been approached by someone who is looking for advise on the best sort of carpet / flooring for those with diabetes. Any thoughts?
you're having a laugh arn't you?

I agree with @Pumper_Sue. When I saw the title of this thread I was intrigued, then seeing the question I thought the person asking the question was either having a laugh or is having a go for the prize of asking the most bizarre question that this site has ever seen.

You can have whatever type of flooring you like, I don’t see that it makes any difference.

The same kind of carpet/flooring as is best for somebody with blue eyes/a Leo/somebody called Dave - ie any type at all!

Thanks for the responses. The individual uses multiple insoles, and yet struggles and hence is looking for any experience with types/brands of carpets/flooring.

Thanks for the responses. The individual uses multiple insoles, and yet struggles and hence is looking for any experience with types/brands of carpets/flooring.
Struggles with what? If you are talking about neuropathy, then the type of flooring will not help. They need to manage their diabetes as well as possible and take medication for the pain if necessary. Knowing more about the issues this person is struggling with will help us to advise better.

The individual uses multiple insoles, and yet struggles and hence is looking for any experience with types/brands of carpets/flooring.
Perhaps the individual has peripheral neuropathy, specifically loss of feeling in the feet. In which case I think the main issue would be what @trophywench mentions, so you'd want to try and make the floor smooth and avoid trip hazards at doorways and the like.

Struggles with pain? Or balance? Prone to falls? Has had toes amputated? Are they young or elderly?

If their problem is a foot problem, then maybe whoever is responsible for their feet might be able to make suggestions. The problem isn’t the diabetes, it’s whatever the issues are with their feet.

Presuming it’s neuropathy, here’s some advice. Personally I’d avoid rugs altogether and watch out for doormats:

Floors
Floors should have non-glare and non-skid surfaces.
If you use area rugs, make sure they have non-slip backing.
Tape or tack down carpet edges securely.
If your carpets or area rugs have high edges that you could trip over, think about replacing them with a thinner rug.
Avoid slippery, wet floors. Wipe up spills and liquids right away.

As someone with neuropathy on crutches & severly damaged feet I find walking on wood or hard floor much better & safer than carpet. I wear a slipper on my foot that’s not in a cast & with wood floor I can feel where the floor is. On carpet I feel unsafe without a solid surface under me & I don’t have rugs as I’ve fallen over them too many times.

Hope the person is able to find a flooring surface that they find suitable, stable, and reassuring underfoot @@SuttonDUK

Struggles with pain? Or balance? Prone to falls? Has had toes amputated? Are they young or elderly?

If their problem is a foot problem, then maybe whoever is responsible for their feet might be able to make suggestions. The problem isn’t the diabetes, it’s whatever the issues are with their feet.

Presuming it’s neuropathy, here’s some advice. Personally I’d avoid rugs altogether and watch out for doormats:

Floors
Floors should have non-glare and non-skid surfaces.
If you use area rugs, make sure they have non-slip backing.
Tape or tack down carpet edges securely.
If your carpets or area rugs have high edges that you could trip over, think about replacing them with a thinner rug.
Avoid slippery, wet floors. Wipe up spills and liquids right away.
As someone with severe neuropathy I think this reply covers the subject very well. I'd just add that I take great care when coming downstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back