Cardiologist ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
... left a message this morning that he wants to talk to me about results fom my CTCA yesterday. Playing phone tag, but in the meantime trying to figure the odds between:

(A) Everything clear, cancel the January follow-up appointment; or
(B) He has a donor for an immediate heart transplant operation so long as it happens this afternoon. 🙂

So it was:

(C) Need an angiogram but likely he'll recommend a bypass.

Blahhhh! I was pretty sure everything would be OK. No angina, no shortness of breath, nothing on ECG, nothing on echo test, nothing on stress echo, nothing on 72 hour Holter test. hsCRP, proteins, lipids, BP, BG, HR all ideal.

In the lead up to the CCTA I got the cardio to estimate the odds of it showing clinically significant CAD, given the results so far: 15-20%, because of my PAD and because of some post-exercise fatigue ( which I was sure is due to the PAD, not my heart).

Looks like I've lost that dice-roll! Now thinking dumb thoughts like I'll have to put on some weight if I really do need a bypass - doubt that going into that op & recovery with my current sub-20 BMI is a good idea ...

Anyway, one moral of the story: just because you have no chest pain & no shortness of breath and you pass ECG, echo test, stress echo test etc etc it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have clinically significant CAD. And if you have PAD you really should think about pushing for a full heart exam.

Also - take the damn statin.

Last edited:
Mr Eggy had to have a quad bypass after one heart attack aged 47. The HA was a surprise, the fact that four of his arteries were kaputt was a total shock. It’s not like on the TV when the “victim” clutches their chest/ left arm and collapses in a heap. In hindsight he was more tired than usual but not breathless in particular. That’s 16 years ago. Good luck with it all, you’ll feel like a new man afterwards ( well, after recovery). Keep us informed.

Mr Eggy had to have a quad bypass after one heart attack aged 47. The HA was a surprise, the fact that four of his arteries were kaputt was a total shock. It’s not like on the TV when the “victim” clutches their chest/ left arm and collapses in a heap. In hindsight he was more tired than usual but not breathless in particular. That’s 16 years ago. Good luck with it all, you’ll feel like a new man afterwards ( well, after recovery). Keep us informed.
Thanks!

Obviously good to catch this before a HA .... furiously thinking positive thoughts 🙂

Last edited:
I've now got a vested interest in this thread, after several ECGs and a Holter test my first Cardio appointment is in early January. Meanwhile the periodic palpitations and acute giddiness seem to be increasingly often. I had a 2hr cardio check before my surgery in Feb 20, with a clean bill of health then.

Strange contradiction - I'm wishing my life away (or at least until January) to find out if my mortality is imminent! Perhaps it's why I can't sleep recently - and I seem to recall sleep deprivation isn't ideal for health? Oh well, shouldn't grumble.

So it was:

Blahhhh! I was pretty sure everything would be OK. No angina, no shortness of breath, nothing on ECG, nothing on echo test, nothing on stress echo, nothing on 72 hour Holter test. hsCRP, proteins, lipids, BP, BG, HR all ideal.

In the lead up to the CCTA I got the cardio to estimate the odds of it showing clinically significant CAD, given the results so far: 15-20%, because of my PAD and because of some post-exercise fatigue ( which I was sure is due to the PAD, not my heart).

Looks like I've lost that dice-roll! Now thinking dumb thoughts like I'll have to put on some weight if I really do need a bypass - doubt that going into that op & recovery with my current sub-20 BMI is a good idea ...

Anyway, one moral of the story: just because you have no chest pain & no shortness of breath and you pass ECG, echo test, stress echo test etc etc it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have clinically significant CAD. And if you have PAD you really should think about pushing for a full heart exam.

.... Or if T2, get yourself onto the PREDICT Study at Leicester and have all of those checks and more.

Hope the bypass goes well.

What are your specific concerns about surgery at a BMI sub 20? My personal concerns would be my (personal) ability to gain lean muscle in time for the surgery, because I'd rather not gain fat if I were to be deliberately weight gaining.

.... Or if T2, get yourself onto the PREDICT Study at Leicester and have all of those checks and more.

Hope the bypass goes well.

What are your specific concerns about surgery at a BMI sub 20? My personal concerns would be my (personal) ability to gain lean muscle in time for the surgery, because I'd rather not gain fat if I were to be deliberately weight gaining.
That, but also AFAIK people tend to lose appetite after this op & if I lose weight from where I am it's mainly lean.

That, but also AFAIK people tend to lose appetite after this op & if I lose weight from where I am it's mainly lean.
What is your strategy for gaining your desired weight?

What is your strategy for gaining your desired weight?
Don't know yet - depends to some extent on op timing. But probably involves finally biting biting bullet on getting into strength training & upping protein, plus adding a bit of fat mass.

Is this still recruiting if so how do you volunteer yourself?
Yes. It’s quite a big study and can only see a limited number of participants each week.

if you drop me a PM I can snd the relevant details. It really is interesting and participants are extremely well looked after, and I certainly felt very valued.

Don't know yet - depends to some extent on op timing. But probably involves finally biting biting bullet on getting into strength training & upping protein, plus adding a bit of fat mass.
If you are routinely consuming a limited number of carbs it can take a while to gain. After breast surgery a few years ago it took me several months to regain the 3kg I lost.

I increased portion sizes and chose fattier cuts of meat more regularly. I didn’t up my carbs, except that a larger portion of cabbage/cauliflower, or whatever would have a few extra.

Good luck with it all.

If you are routinely consuming a limited number of carbs it can take a while to gain. After breast surgery a few years ago it took me several months to regain the 3kg I lost.

I increased portion sizes and chose fattier cuts of meat more regularly. I didn’t up my carbs, except that a larger portion of cabbage/cauliflower, or whatever would have a few extra.

Good luck with it all.
With my first COVID bout last year I hardly ate anything for a week & lost 2kg, mainly lean. Took me almost a year to put it back - then I got COVID again in May & lost 1kg, which I haven't regained. I wouldn't want to lose 2kg from here ...

I'm not carb restricted. My main lever for adjusting body weight is to change the number of almonds I eat - I'm a food-weirdo 🙂

CTCA report:

1702536106655.png

Interpretation: "Decades of every day smoking cigarettes equal to his own body weight & elevated LDL have transformed this patient's heart into a giant lump of calcium despite no signs of ischemia on exercise stress test."

But shadowing from all the calcium makes the actual degree of stenosis uncertain - hence need for an angiogram.

Best wishes for your ongoing investigations and potential op @Eddy Edson

Hope it all goes well. Keep us posted with how things are going.

With my first COVID bout last year I hardly ate anything for a week & lost 2kg, mainly lean. Took me almost a year to put it back - then I got COVID again in May & lost 1kg, which I haven't regained. I wouldn't want to lose 2kg from here ...

I'm not carb restricted. My main lever for adjusting body weight is to change the number of almonds I eat - I'm a food-weirdo 🙂
It's so much harder to put lean mass on than it is to lose it isn't it. Strength training can be a great help. On the other hand eating badly and putting bodyfat on seems quite straightforward.

After an incident I had a superb cardiologist who diagnosed an aortic heart valve condition that they would leave unless a ct scan showed anything. I had the scan then they wanted an angiogram immediatley. I was 95th percentile and they got me in quickly during covid for a valve replacement and a quadruple bypass. I was a strength coach, I'd been sprinting and strength training for years at high intensity. Had no idea that my arteries were more bony than my bones. Going in to that surgery, any surgery I guess, with as much muscle mass as possible and in best health as possible is smart because there is so much time spent horizontal and it takes some time to rehab and get moving again.

I understand that CT scans for dudes over 40 would be ridiculously expensive but it's a big silent thing.

Forgive the unsolicited advice but do try to keep your diet clean and eat plenty, especially protein.

It's so much harder to put lean mass on than it is to lose it isn't it. Strength training can be a great help. On the other hand eating badly and putting bodyfat on seems quite straightforward.

After an incident I had a superb cardiologist who diagnosed an aortic heart valve condition that they would leave unless a ct scan showed anything. I had the scan then they wanted an angiogram immediatley. I was 95th percentile and they got me in quickly during covid for a valve replacement and a quadruple bypass. I was a strength coach, I'd been sprinting and strength training for years at high intensity. Had no idea that my arteries were more bony than my bones. Going in to that surgery, any surgery I guess, with as much muscle mass as possible and in best health as possible is smart because there is so much time spent horizontal and it takes some time to rehab and get moving again.

I understand that CT scans for dudes over 40 would be ridiculously expensive but it's a big silent thing.

Forgive the unsolicited advice but do try to keep your diet clean and eat plenty, especially protein.
My cardio laid out the plan for me at the start: even though asymptomatic, because of my PAD/diabetes/smoking history the idea was to progressively try to "rule in" with first step echo study; if nothing from that then exercise stress test; and if nothing from that then CTCA.

I kind of wonderd why not go straight to CTCA, given that I'm pretty active and have zero symptoms (except for some fatigue which up til now has seemed to me to be a leg thing, not heart). Part of the reason, maybe not an important part, seems to have been that he actually needed to cite symptoms like shortness of breath or angina to get through CTCA triage, and in the end he faked a shortness of breath cite, nothing else having turned up from the stress test etc. Anyway, kudos to him for successfully wrangling the situation.

My angiogram is booked for Firday. I hope they can check for coronary collaterals. A big reason why I can be active despite having a completely occluded left femoral artery is because I have a whole lot of leg collaterals, grown as a result of constant aerobic exercise over the last 5+ years. That can also promote coronary collateral development, which is maybe a reason why eg I could pull 12+ METs on the exercise stress test in spite of the gammy leg and apparent three-vessel occlusive heart disease. Maybe it would change the risk/benefit go/no-go analysis for the bypass op? Anyway it's going to be really interesting to see how things pan out.

If I do need a bypass, I'm really hoping it's not needed very urgently. Just started a new project and I'd rather not have to tell the client, "Oops sorry, have to put things on hold while I have heart surgery" if I can avoid it 🙂 I'd also like to have some time to bulk up a bit, as you say.

EDIT: Just to geek out a bit on collaterals ...

This is the EXCITE study from 2016, looking at coronary collateral development in response to exercise, pulished in the American Heart Association's journal Circulation: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/epub/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.016442

Background—

A well-developed coronary collateral circulation provides a potential source of blood supply in coronary artery disease. However, the prognostic importance and functional relevance of coronary collaterals is controversial with the association between exercise training and collateral growth still unclear.

Methods and Results—

This prospective, open-label study randomly assigned 60 patients with significant coronary artery disease (fractional flow reserve ≤0.75) to high-intensity exercise (group A, 20 patients) or moderate-intensity exercise (group B, 20 patients) for 4 weeks or to a control group (group C, 20 patients). The primary end point was the change of the coronary collateral flow index (CFI) after 4 weeks. Analysis was based on the intention to treat. After 4 weeks, baseline CFI increased significantly by 39.4% in group A (from 0.142±0.07 at beginning to 0.198±0.09 at 4 weeks) in comparison with 41.3% in group B (from 0.143±0.06 to 0.202±0.09), whereas CFI in the control group remained unchanged (0.7%, from 0.149±0.09 to 0.150±0.08). High-intensity exercise did not lead to a greater CFI than moderate-intensity training. After 4 weeks, exercise capacity, Vo2 peak and ischemic threshold increased significantly in group A and group B in comparison with group C with no difference between group A and group B.

Conclusions—

A significant improvement in CFI was demonstrated in response to moderate- and high-intensity exercise performed for 10 hours per week.

On the other hand, the accompanying editorial https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.022037 criticizes the study, essentially saying that the trial design did not support the conclusion that improvements were due to collateral development.

Nevertheless, the EXCITE study continues to be cited. Which IMO is a nice illustration of the murky status of collaterals as treatment targets and risk modifiers in general - wide-spread feeling that they are probably pretty good for preserving & restoring function coupled with apparent lack of high-quality studies, a robust evidence base and well-accepted mechanisms.

My personal experience is that leg collaterals have been really powerful for preserving and restoring function and so I'm hoping something similar applies to my heart and that the angiogram will deliver some insights.

Last edited:
So it was:

Best Wishes for it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back