Cardiff inquest as two die after 'infected' kidney op

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Two men died after having a kidney transplant from the same donor whose organs were allegedly infected with a parasitic worm, solicitors say.

An inquest will be held into the deaths of Robert Stuart, from Cardiff, and Darren Hughes, of Bridgend, next week.

Lawyers for their families say they hope to find answers on why their deaths happened.

The donor of the kidneys also died from the same infection, according to solicitors Irwin Mitchell.

The inquest is scheduled to be heard at Cardiff Coroner's Court on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30050902

How awful :( If the donor had died from this, why use his kidneys?

Presumably, the presence of the worm in the donor wasn't known when they died and organs were taken. While many infections are tested, this sounds like a very rare parasite in the UK. Very sad. I hope it doesn't dissuade potential donors, families, medics, recipients.

You know your organ donor card, I always emphasise they can have everything but can't have my pancreas, but you do wonder if that info would get relayed properly. Hopefully my next of kin would remember to say that, but ......

It would be nice if you could say eg but you can have it for any research that's occurring if you want it, but you can't can you?

Patients given kidneys rejected 'unfit' by other hospitals

Two transplant patients died after receiving kidneys which had been rejected as "unfit" by other hospitals, an inquest has heard.

Robert Stuart, 67, from Cardiff, and Darren Hughes, 42, of Bridgend, were given organs from a donor infected with meningitis-causing parasitic worms.

Doctors knew the alcoholic donor of the kidneys had died from meningitis, Cardiff Coroner's Court heard.

The transplants took place at Cardiff's University Hospital of Wales last year.

Post mortem examinations revealed both men had the deadly parasitic worm halicephalobus in their bodies after the transplant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30086735

:(

What a terrible thing to happen. :(

We were just discussing this anyway.

Who is sposed to do the tests and what reasons did the hosps that rejected them give - medical or they just weren't needed today thanks?

If the former (and I hope to God that somebody asks that question and this is brought out) why the hell weren't they destroyed immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back