Carbs to Insulin course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joybells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
carbs:insulin. Is there a course to help me balance carbs to insulin please? I am type 2.

There are carb counting courses, but in my area they are not available to T2s - absolute rubbish, but there you go. Plus not much has been going on since Covid in the way of live courses. I suggest you have a look at Bertie Online https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ which is, as it says, an online carb counting course. I found it very good. I did it before doing a live course and the live course didn't teach me much more, if anything.

Whilst it is aimed at people with Type 1, the logistics or carbs to insulin are the same for all on insulin (and people with Type 1 can still experience insulin resistance), so you could take a look at Bertie on line (it's easy to find with Google). Bertie's is a self paced online course developed by, I think, Bournemouth hospitals but open to all to sign up. It is often recommended

carbs:insulin. Is there a course to help me balance carbs to insulin please? I am type 2.
My experience is that there isn’t a taught course available to T2s. You can do the online one though and can learn by interacting with others online.

What part of it do you need support with, the counting carbs or adjusting insulin?

BERTIE is a brilliant resource, and has helped so many people!

If you’d like to start with something a little lighter, there’s a quick overview of the basics on the Diabetes UK website here:

My experience is that there isn’t a taught course available to T2s. You can do the online one though and can learn by interacting with others online.

What part of it do you need support with, the counting carbs or adjusting insulin?
Thanks, where do I find the online course please? I am OK at counting the carbs, but don't know how much insulin to take to balance the carbs.

Thanks, where do I find the online course please? I am OK at counting the carbs, but don't know how much insulin to take to balance the carbs.
Sorry, missed the bit about balancing the carbs. You usually start with a ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 10g carbs. This may need adjusting depending on your results. This link may help https://diabetesstrong.com/insulin-to-carb-ratios/ I found the book "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Schiener invaluable in setting my ratios, if you'd prefer something you can keep referring back to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back