Carbs for a 'normal' Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just a quick question as the other half and I can't find the answer.

What is the normal amount of carbohydrates that a Type 2 diabetic should have every day as part of a balanced diet?

A reference to your answer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance... 🙂

Tez, does that include the carb in beer???

Sorry you're being serious!

I dunno depends on individuals I guess, god made us all different!!

I have been told/heard DUK have guidelines about carb intakes on there website??

Hi tez, you've probably invited a welter of posts from the 'low carbers', but I think the only answer really is what works for YOU. There's a lot of logic in the idea of testing and finding what foods work for you. Personally, I seem to be very lucky - no spikes, eat what I will and dose with insulin. OK, I'm sure everyone hates me now!😱😉

If only there was such a thing as a 'normal' diabetic! As Northerner says, what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else, some will find that next to zero carbs is the right thing for them, other will find they can eat plenty, it's just a case of finding where on that spectrum you fall...

Hi tez, you've probably invited a welter of posts from the 'low carbers', but I think the only answer really is what works for YOU. There's a lot of logic in the idea of testing and finding what foods work for you. Personally, I seem to be very lucky - no spikes, eat what I will and dose with insulin. OK, I'm sure everyone hates me now!😱😉

Ahem.... !! Low Carber in the thread 😱😱 Welllllll actually I was going

to say we are all different and what works for one of us will not necessarily

work for another , so I personally would test and test again !! the only way

to know what works for you is to try a few different things and then test

and see how it effects your individual levels . Good luck and let us know how

you get on . If you need any Low Carb help deflect to the Low carb thread .

What is the normal amount of carbohydrates that a Type 2 diabetic should have every day as part of a balanced diet?

Thanks in advance... 🙂

Tez, standard advice is the norm for a "healthy" diet 230g for women, 300g for men (Sainsbury bran flake package summary of UK recommended daily allowances best I can find at moment). The New Glucose Revolution (Brand Miller et al) p30 - small eaters 130g is minimum they give up to 260g for moderate eaters on high carb intake (University of Sydney. Joslin Centre for Diabetes )associated with Harvard University) gives minimum of 120g.

However, serious low carbers would say these levels are too high

Thanks in advance... 🙂

Dear brightontez,

Just to make Northerers prediction come true I'm responding as a "controlled carber" In fact previous responders have already given you the answer. The way forward is to set yourself, maybe in conjunction with your diabetes team, some targets and then eat sufficent carbohydrates so that you meet or stay below them. These are the ones that I use:

1. HbA1c less than 6%
2. Fasting blood sugar less than 6mmol/L
3. 1 hour after meals less than 6.9mmol/L
4. 2 hour after meals - same as pre-meal value, but no worse than 6.0mmol/L

Clearly, I can't make any recommendations, but as a general rule, the closer to "normal" that you get the better it will be regarding future complications. We are all different and so taking "standard" values (300gms???) for daily carb intake may be totally wrong for you. There are several methods of achieving your targets, as to a reference, I found a book by Jenny Ruhl (see books thread) to be good, but there are others. The levels that Vanessa quoted may well be OK for you, but you won't know unless you test test test!

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Tez,

Nothing much for me to add since Rossi and Northerner put their fingers on it first.

But can I ask why you are asking the question? Are you looking for some kind of guidelines at to how to use carb management to achieve better results for example? Levels at which its believed to become dangerous etc?

Thanks in advance... 🙂

Tez, just a little addition - my copy of Sweet has landed on my doorstep this morning and there is a lengthy article on carbs in there that you may find of interest

Vanessa

Thanks for all your replies.

Tez,

Nothing much for me to add since Rossi and Northerner put their fingers on it first.

But can I ask why you are asking the question? Are you looking for some kind of guidelines at to how to use carb management to achieve better results for example? Levels at which its believed to become dangerous etc?

My ultimate goal is to get off the Metformin. I hate the stuff. The side effects are unreal.

It's not getting me depressed or anything like that. I have thought long and hard and since I have been testing my blood I have learned what I can and can't eat in large portions. E.g. rice - If I had my old usual amount my bloods would be in double figures the next morning.

Tez, does that include the carb in beer???

Sorry you're being serious!

I dunno depends on individuals I guess, god made us all different!!

I have been told/heard DUK have guidelines about carb intakes on there website??

I tried searching the DUK website without success. My alcohol consumption is very low now. I do like a beer now and again but it disagrees with my Metformin.

The thing is in my opinion Type 1's are very lucky in one respect - they can bolus for anything they eat to avoid high sugars and complications. I want to reduce my carb intake to get even lower levels. I don't want to go at it very quickly like a crash diet. My bloods are better than they were in March but I want them even better.

If only there was such a thing as a 'normal' diabetic! As Northerner says, what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else, some will find that next to zero carbs is the right thing for them, other will find they can eat plenty, it's just a case of finding where on that spectrum you fall...

Yes you're right Aymes. I was trying to find out the recommended carb intake levels as a reference. Then I can work on getting them lower gradually so I can get off the Metformin.

Ahem.... !! Low Carber in the thread 😱😱 Welllllll actually I was going

to say we are all different and what works for one of us will not necessarily

work for another , so I personally would test and test again !! the only way

to know what works for you is to try a few different things and then test

and see how it effects your individual levels . Good luck and let us know how

you get on . If you need any Low Carb help deflect to the Low carb thread .

The low carb route is my ultimate goal Addict. I admire yours and Dodger's regime. I'll be a bit more active in the low carb thread.

Tez, standard advice is the norm for a "healthy" diet 230g for women, 300g for men (Sainsbury bran flake package summary of UK recommended daily allowances best I can find at moment). The New Glucose Revolution (Brand Miller et al) p30 - small eaters 130g is minimum they give up to 260g for moderate eaters on high carb intake (University of Sydney. Joslin Centre for Diabetes )associated with Harvard University) gives minimum of 120g.

However, serious low carbers would say these levels are too high

Thanks Vanessa. I've got something to work on now. I'm going to keep a diary of what I eat and the carbs, along with my BG results so I can see where I am improving or slipping. I may even post it on my website.

Dear brightontez,

Just to make Northerers prediction come true I'm responding as a "controlled carber" In fact previous responders have already given you the answer. The way forward is to set yourself, maybe in conjunction with your diabetes team, some targets and then eat sufficent carbohydrates so that you meet or stay below them. These are the ones that I use:

1. HbA1c less than 6%
2. Fasting blood sugar less than 6mmol/L
3. 1 hour after meals less than 6.9mmol/L
4. 2 hour after meals - same as pre-meal value, but no worse than 6.0mmol/L

Clearly, I can't make any recommendations, but as a general rule, the closer to "normal" that you get the better it will be regarding future complications. We are all different and so taking "standard" values (300gms???) for daily carb intake may be totally wrong for you. There are several methods of achieving your targets, as to a reference, I found a book by Jenny Ruhl (see books thread) to be good, but there are others. The levels that Vanessa quoted may well be OK for you, but you won't know unless you test test test!

Regards Dodger

Thanks Dodger. I realise you came off your medication and my ultimate aim is to follow your example. I only have access to the nurse at my doctor's surgery and although she is very nice I would ideally like to be refered to the dibetes clinic at the hospital to see the dietician and put my low carb thoughs to them. In the meantime I am going it alone with the help and support of my other half who is now label reading and cooking lower carb meals.

My ultimate goal is to get off the Metformin. I hate the stuff. The side effects are unreal.

Ah well if that's the driver the answer may be a lot simpler.

What people almost never get told about metformin is that one of the effects it has is to block carb absorbtion in the gut. So it all goes straight through and speeds things up, often arriving at the other end before the moisture has been taken out of it.

So the more carbs you eat, particularly starchy carbs, the worse the side effects of the metformin.

Its also something the body can get used to within a couple of weeks, but if you are eating a lot of carbs then it fails to get any better.

So there's two solutions to "the metfartin problem".
1) Reduce your carb intake and give the body a chance to get used to it. You may then be able to reintroduce carbs to a slightly higher level with no ill effects.
2) Get extended release metformin (usually glucophage SR) which is a slow release version and does not have the same impact on carb absorbtion.

I'd say its preferable to get it to work with the standard metformin if possible though. With carbs being blocked from entering your system in the first place, it makes glycemic management easier. Its also mostly only the calories in carbs that actually count, so its better for weight control.

If you are determined to get rid of metformin altogether then you may find that your diet is a lot more restrictive without it. But if it can work for you long term then go for it.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back