Carbs & Cals … and Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSimpson64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Have just started to use C&C and have discovered it’s quite well endorsed by DSN (possibly also with users on here?).
Here’s the question. If you have defined your own ‘My Foods’ and ‘My Meals’ on one device (eg: iPhone) has anyone discovered a way to port those over and include them in your Carbs & Cals app on another device (eg: iPad)? Or have I missed something (entirely possible lol).

I’d have thought that the two apps would sync if they’re signed in on the same account and the same Apple ID but I can’t find anything about that in the app help (iPhone).

Maybe drop them a line and ask. Be good to know the answer.

Have just started to use C&C and have discovered it’s quite well endorsed by DSN (possibly also with users on here?).
My view is that it's the best of a bad lot - I'm not keen on the way they have locked loads of the content, it never seemed to be updated very much (but hey, they are staples so not a biggie.)

It would be fairly easy to replace the whole shooting match with something opensource (i.e. write your own) and with opensource data addition, but in the inverse of the usual saying, here "good (enough) is the enemy of perfect", it works sufficiently well that it's probably not worth the bother.

I’d have thought that the two apps would sync if they’re signed in on the same account and the same Apple ID but I can’t find anything about that in the app help (iPhone).

Maybe drop them a line and ask. Be good to know the answer.
Good idea. I’ve actually now found a help email link on their website (nothing in the app I can see either) so I’ve send a question to them. Will post reply back here.

Last edited:
My view is that it's the best of a bad lot - I'm not keen on the way they have locked loads of the content
I must admit I initially felt the same Simon but when I found out it was strongly endorsed by my DSN I came round to feeling that the 30quid or so a year is quite good value for the now vast range of brands they cover and especially as you can define your own weights/portions of stuff …. something fairly important with my redesigned digestive system. Previously I checked out the rest as you probably have and was a bit unimpressed.

I must admit I initially felt the same Simon but when I found out it was strongly endorsed by my DSN I came round to feeling that the 30quid or so a year is quite good value for the now vast range of brands they cover and especially as you can define your own weights/portions of stuff …. something fairly important with my redesigned digestive system. Previously I checked out the rest as you probably have and was a bit unimpressed.
I must admit I've not paid and only use the free version (I paid for the books years ago, on the recommendation of someone or other, and the app was a fully free addition at that point).

I rarely use it, I generally read packets/look at supermarket websites and/or work from experience, but it is sometimes useful to look at quantities (pasta, potatoes, bread rolls) if I don't have anything to hand, though I do find it very hard to work out how large something is on one of the display plates. Presumably it's a standard size (the plate), I just don't know what size! 🙂

@ColinUK Here’s the reply I got back from Carbs & Cals:

The food diary does not currently automatically sync between devices, but this is something we are hoping to introduce in the future.
If you have large batches of data you want to move across you can do a backup of one device and restore it to the other.
Please follow the below steps:

On the device you wish to copy the plan from:
1) Tap on the profile icon (top right on home page).
2) Tap on Backup & Restore
3) Tap the green button ‘OK, start backup’
4) Enter your first name and email that you want the backup key sent to.
5) Agree to terms, decide if you wish to sign up to the newsletter
6) Tap on the green button ’Send Backup Key’. You will receive an email containing the key

On your new phone / tablet you wish to add (restore) the plan to. This will also copy across the diary data and any custom foods and meals from the primary device.

Install the app on the free Starter Plan.
3) Tap the white button ‘Restore a backup’
4) Enter the backup key and tap the green button ‘Restore Backup’

Important points to note:

• Please do not exit the app whilst the backup or restore are running
• If the backup or restore runs for more than 5 minutes, you may want to quit the app and try again
If you do experience any problems or have any questions about the steps please get back in touch.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

@ColinUK Here’s the reply I got back from Carbs & Cals:

The food diary does not currently automatically sync between devices, but this is something we are hoping to introduce in the future.
If you have large batches of data you want to move across you can do a backup of one device and restore it to the other.
Please follow the below steps:

On the device you wish to copy the plan from:
3) Tap the green button ‘OK, start backup’
4) Enter your first name and email that you want the backup key sent to.
5) Agree to terms, decide if you wish to sign up to the newsletter
6) Tap on the green button ’Send Backup Key’. You will receive an email containing the key

On your new phone / tablet you wish to add (restore) the plan to. This will also copy across the diary data and any custom foods and meals from the primary device.

Install the app on the free Starter Plan.
3) Tap the white button ‘Restore a backup’
4) Enter the backup key and tap the green button ‘Restore Backup’

Important points to note:

• Please do not exit the app whilst the backup or restore are running
• If the backup or restore runs for more than 5 minutes, you may want to quit the app and try again
If you do experience any problems or have any questions about the steps please get back in touch.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Small suggestions if I may: if you amended your title to include the word "synchronising" then in the middle future some one might find this most useful set of instructions from a search. Maybe check the instructions work first! Also edit your narrative to include the Carbs and Cals email address that helped you, if that address is not blatantly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back