Carbs and Cals - illustrated book . A query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
This is a well illustrated and helpful in its layouts . Just a couple of queries

Ive been looking at sections not explored before -
Is the book aimed at Type 1 and Type 2 ?
Are the items in the book permissable to all diabetics eg Im looking at desserts and bakery items at the moment, surprised to find doughnuts listed, & bread and choc spread
Just curious would be nice to know?

My copy is published in 2015 and it now seems rather out of date in terms of the recommendation for the NHS Eat Well Plate as being suitable for Type 2 as it would be far too high in carbs for many to tolerate.
I don't think it is aimed at either Type 1 or Type 2 specifically but more information about the carb values. It is up to the individual armed with the information to make their own decision whether any particular food is OK for them.
There are many foods that people who are Type 2 may have eaten before but with the info on carbs would now decide 'no way Jose'.

My copy is published in 2015 and it now seems rather out of date in terms of the recommendation for the NHS Eat Well Plate as being suitable for Type 2 as it would be far too high in carbs for many to tolerate.
I don't think it is aimed at either Type 1 or Type 2 specifically but more information about the carb values. It is up to the individual armed with the information to make their own decision whether any particular food is OK for them.
There are many foods that people who are Type 2 may have eaten before but with the info on carbs would now decide 'no way Jose'.

I think we all have to decide our limits.
A lot of food on the eatwell plate is probably ok, and certainly better than a lot of previous diets for the majority.
There isn't a "one size fits all" answer.

Why does it have to be aimed at people with diabetes?
There is an interest is calories and carbohydrates amongst many people who track what they eat whether high or low in calories and carbs.
Carbs and Cals is not a health tool.

Are the items in the book permissable to all diabetics
You can eat whatever you want... however there may well be adverse consequences to what you eat.
As your diagnosis of T2/prediabetes shows.

The purpose of the book isn’t to show you what diabetics can eat. The purpose of the book is to show you the carbs and calories in different portions of foods so that you can decide for yourself.

Thanks for the replies. That's settled a query I had about the book.... I'd assumed most of it was about suitable .foods. It was puzzling when coming across the very sweet stuffs shown... Thats clearer now .

Thanks for the replies. That's settled a query I had about the book.... I'd assumed most of it was about suitable .foods. It was puzzling when coming across the very sweet stuffs shown... Thats clearer now .
My DSN told me that it was originally for diabetics using insulin so that carbs and if needed calories could be counted easier., as a type 2 I found it useful to know how many carbs were in a portion size of a particular foodstuff, so I could reduce my carb intake

My DSN told me that it was originally for diabetics using insulin so that carbs and if needed calories could be counted easier., as a type 2 I found it useful to know how many carbs were in a portion size of a particular foodstuff, so I could reduce my carb intake
I also found it really useful for making better choices and finding some substitutions. There were also some big surprises.

Lots of members seem to have found it a very useful resource.

Hi folks. Yes- a very useful book. Recommended by a member; bought thru the shop.
It's been used mainly for carbs (long story) but now needed for Cals too( longer story!) I had the above 2 queries b4 doing that. I 'm not yer usual Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back