Carbohydrates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkbiker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Eating Low Carb does not mean NO carb but making sure the carbs you do have are worth it for flavour and satisfaction.
It is suggested that people should be aiming at no more than 130g total carbs per day though many do go lower than that to achieve the blood glucose level they need to be at.
Because everybody is different in their tolerance to carb it is impossible to give a simple answer and people determine what suits them by monitoring the effect of foods and meals with a home blood glucose monitor.

The daily "requirement" is precisely zero, so anywhere near that should be ok.
This really isn’t good advice and I’d completely ignore it. It’s potentially unsafe given you haven’t said what medication you’re on or what other health conditions you have going on too

Make small sustainable changes to your diet, don’t just cut out a food group entirely. Making small gradual changes will reduce your blood sugars slowly which helps reduce the risk of problems with your eye sight whilst bringing your levels down.

It’s potentially unsafe given you haven’t said what medication you’re on or what other health conditions you have going on too
Because I eat almost no carbohydrates I am on zero medications and have no other "health conditions".

Hope that helps.

By the way carbs aren't really a "food group" either.

As a wise doctor said recently..

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 13.07.30.png

Because I eat almost no carbohydrates I am on zero medications and have no other "health conditions".

Hope that helps.

By the way carbs aren't really a "food group" either.

As a wise doctor said recently..

View attachment 23429
The original poster who is the one you advised to eat zero carbohydrates has a high hba1c that should be reduced slowly, and they are the one that hasn’t said whether they are on medication or have other health considerations

This is a good article:

I stick to healthy sources of carbs and have no problems with blood sugar. As the article says, certain fruits and veg are highly nutritious.

This is also good:

This is a good article:

I stick to healthy sources of carbs and have no problems with blood sugar. As the article says, certain fruits and veg are highly nutritious.

This is also good:

The Harvard article seems to think that "whole grains" are somehow healthier than what "unwhole" grains..?
It's nonsense.. carbs are carbs.. little glucose molecules holding hands whether brown, white or grey.

Mr Leech appears to be a CICO advocate which knocks him down rather in my opinion.

Whole grains contain, um, the 'whole grain'.

You do know what that is?

Refined grains have the bran (Covering) and germ removed during processing, which contains a lot of healthy nutrients and fibre. Hence why brown bread is recommended over white bread.

Hence why brown bread is recommended over white bread.
Yet for a T2 both will lead to a blood sugar spike because they are both starchy carbs.
All grains require processing.. there are very few foods made of "whole grains" because they are inedible.

This is a good article:

This is also good:

I have to disagree with various points in these linked references. They assume the reader still has quite good insulin function and hence fairly good BS control. There are some of us who can't be quite so free with any carb. I would also challenge some of the 'facts'

Yet for a T2 both will lead to a blood sugar spike because they are both starchy carbs.
All grains require processing.. there are very few foods made of "whole grains" because they are inedible.

You mean, erm, boiling?
Like processing food by cooking it?
Or is grinding it or chewing it "processing"?

You mean, erm, boiling?
Like processing food by cooking it?
Or is grinding it or chewing it "processing"?
Tell me the last time you ate a "whole grain" that hadn't been through multiple processes to make it edible.

Chewing is eating so not processing.

Cooking could be considered the mildest form of processing.
Anything more than that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back