CARBOHYDRATES & PLACES TO EAT

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So with everywhere opening back up I must admit I feel really scared about having meals out again because nowhere especially where I live has nutritional values of food :(

These look delicious but I have no idea of how many carbs are in them :(

Screenshot_20210422-122502_Facebook.jpg

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Learning to guesstimate is an important part of diabetes, how long have you been carb counting at home for? Looks like you’ve been diagnosed a while so you’ve probably picked up a good knowledge of carbs in foods and can use that to guess whilst out. If it’s new foods when eating out you can use apps like carbs and cals to help inform your guess.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Lucyr & thanks for your reply - yes your right I have been diagnosed for a number of years. I use the carbs and cals app but even with that my guesstimates are sometimes ok and sometimes not

Last edited by a moderator:

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My technique for eating out is to conservatively estimate and do lost of testing and corrections after.
Going bit high for an hour or two is not going to cause any problems.

Personally, I would rather eat at small flexible independent cafe that serves food in season than a big chain restaurant that serves the same thing day in day out

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
With those, they look like quite a lot of carbs but also quite a lot of fat so I would be having a few units up front (just before eating them, no prebolus unless I was high to start with) and then a correction later on, in maybe an hour or two when I could see what was happening. Libre certainly makes it a lot easier in such situations. Do you have the Freestyle Libre system?

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @rebrascora , yes I've got the Freestyle libre system

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It isn't any different now to what it was before. Either ask, see if they have a website, or guess.

And obviously deliciousness is in the eye of the beholder - since they look far too sweet and far too big for me - but Palms in Brum used to do a mega dessert with which you were allowed a maximum of about 8 spoons so a gang of you could share it so tell you what - you order it and give me a taste!

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
How did you manage with things like this before lockdown? Or how do you manage at home? Just think about similar things you eat and take a guess. An average size piece of cheesecake is about 20-30 carbs depending on what the topping is, are these about the same size? Let’s assume so for now. A jammy dodger is 13 carbs, choc chip cookies are about 8 each, chopped strawberry not much, chocolate fingers probably about 5 each (i’m guessing there). So I’d probably make an initial guess of about 40 carbs for each of those, wait until it’s in front of me so that I can see exactly how big the portion is and whether my initial guess still seems reasonable, and then decide how much to inject. Guess low and then if your blood sugars go high later you can easily do a correction, whereas if you guess too high and then go hypo that’s not fun!

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
In pre lockdown days, profiteroles were the lowest carb desert on the menu although it took some effort to get the information out of the waiter. The usual story of 'Oh I think we've got it somewhere'.

Austin Mini

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You soon get used to guesstimating food carbs. It’s a bit of a game looking at menus and having a stab at the carbs then dialling in your dose when the meal arrives. Then the Mrs decides to have a sweet and you don’t have a spare needle !

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hard with small cafes to have nutritional value for food, big chain places you can get it on website.

Usually just eyeball food & guess or go by past experience if eaten there before, get it right keep note in phone so you know for next time how to dose for meal.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So today I went out with my hubby for lunch to one of the small cafes in Filey town centre - I had a cheese & pickle sandwich which was delicious but I couldn't find it in the carbs and cals app so tested then just did my usual 36g of carbs which I do for hovis med white sliced20210424_142122.jpg

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @mum2westiesGill

I always ask if they know the carbs for what I order. Sometimes I am told it is on their website, sometimes they look it up for me and others have no idea, so you get good at making a best guess.

I was impressed by a small local cafe. I asked about the carbs in their delicious homemade cheeses scones. “No we don’t know but we will work it out and tell you next time”. They did and funnily enough I keep going back there, where they now know the carbs of their cakes just in case I fancy a try. Temptation is difficult to resist.

In general I find like others it is a best guess, then keep a check on things. It is also hard to prebolus at a restaurant so I just do an underestimate when I know it is coming (my favourite cafe times it for me!!) and then top up as necessary.

The most important bit is if you are going to eat out, enjoy it, then sort it out after.