• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community
  • If you’re a healthcare professional, you can now book your spot on our Diabetes UK Professional Conference Here

Carbohydrates how many - til I get more help.

Poppypat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Eggs are a good choice because they are just protein and fat with no carbs and they are so good for you and they are versatile. I really like them as omelettes because you can fill them with all sorts of things (cheese, ham, mushrooms, onions, peppers, prawns etc) I tend to serve them with a salad and a big dollop of full fat (not reduced fat) coleslaw.... usually cheese coleslaw or full fat mayonnaise. There are very few carbs in that meal maybe 10-15g if you have a few cherry tomatoes in your salad. Obviously if you add bread or potatoes then you will significantly increase the carbs but a 2 or 3 egg omelette with salad is pretty filling without the need for bread. Any meat, quality high meat content sausages or burgers with green veg like cabbage or green beans and cauliflower cheese or mashed cauliflower (which is surprisingly nice and easier to cook and mash than potatoes) works really well. I like a big plate of cabbage with bacon and mushrooms and maybe a fried egg... Savoy cabbage is my favourite with bacon or gammon. Don't be afraid to add a knob of butter to the cabbage especially if you have lost weight and need to put some back on. Stir frys are good too.
I don't eat eggs because I don't like them.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi and welcome
If you are pricking, it should be immediately before you eat AND 2 hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of less than 3mmol over that 2 hours. And yes, you should be in single figures - I'm sure someone will know the optimal range, but I think it's something like 5 - 8. As your current readings are quite high it would be sensible not to cut the carbs too drastically at first, as that can cause problems with small blood vessels and give sight issues.

I was advised to aim for a daily carb allowance and experimented between 50gm - 130gm, settling on 90gm which suited my body best. Some people like Drummer are very sensitive to carbs so need to be lower. Also by measuring before and after, you can work out what spikes your glucose. I keep a daily diary on an app, which also shows me the carb content of every item I eat, and keeps a running total by meal, day and week. (I use NutraCheck but there are others, like MyFitBit).

My DSN told me 2 new potatoes is a serving (assuming it does not spike your glucose level), and that a fruit portion is 80gm (no more than 2 fruit a day). I now eat lots of green vegetables like spinach, cabbage, spring greens, broccoli, Brussels, runner beans, but cannot stomach kale. I also have a lot of cauliflower, peppers, celery, courgettes, lettuce, cucumber, swede, squash. I am more cautious with root vegetables like carrots and beetroot. I make my own soups from vegetables and stock, without thickeners (no flour, potato, pasta), and puree to thicken.

But if you do turn out to be Type 1.5, on insulin, I understand your diet will be much easier. I hope you push for an early follow up with your DSN, because if you are Type 1.5 it's best to get the appropriate medicine as soon as possible. Best wishes
Brill. or should that be cool. We have a delivery of veg. Always what is in season and always carrots ! No doubt this will need to be supplemented. My DSN says I can contact her if I'm concerned. The GP practice has a messaging service which acts reasonably fast.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think in your circumstances I would stick to a normal carb diet, make some improvements but not do anything extremely low carb. You need the nurse to see how much your blood sugars are struggling, because of the potential T1.5 you’re being investigated for. A drastic low carb diet may work very short term for some T1.5 as their pancreas is still working somewhat at the start, but that could then mask the T1.5 and delay getting the insulin needed. So I’d just follow the nurses advice for now, if she hasn’t suggested cutting out all carbs, id keep some in, test and show her the results.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don't eat eggs because I don't like them.

Not everyone does, best to find foods that you enjoy rather than it being daily chore.

Also, completely ignore advice about cherry tomatoes, they are packed full of goodness & dont need to be avoided, have 2 packs in fridge & checking carb content 80g portion is 2.9g carbs, that is 7 toms in total having just weighed some, heeding advice like that from certain forum members is sure fire way to a eating disorder.

Poppypat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just by not snacking my carb intake must be drastically reduced. My book says that a few skin-on new potatoes that have been boiled,cooled and then re-heated and mashed with veg or sweet potato is good and only has a medium GI value

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have found over the years what I can tolerate has changed, the only way to know if they are ok for you is to test to see. What people can tolerate is very individual.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just by not snacking my carb intake must be drastically reduced. My book says that a few skin-on new potatoes that have been boiled,cooled and then re-heated and mashed with veg or sweet potato is good and only has a medium GI value
My DSN said that 2 new potatoes as you described was a serving.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Somebody had said about reheated things like pasta and potatoes having less impact but I was disbelieving but there is something on this site that gives a possible explanation.

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Somebody had said about reheated things like pasta and potatoes having less impact but I was disbelieving but there is something on this site that gives a possible explanation.
Resistant starch - like many things, it seems to work well for some people with all or some of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, but doesn't work at all for others! As usual, test and see if it works for you.

VickyHW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Watch out for cherry tomatoes, they are being bred to have more and more sugar and seem to have reached a point where they could be used for treating hypos.
A large salad tomato is a better choice for a low carb option.
OMGosh really? I used to absolutely gorge on cherry toms. Can eat them like others eat sweets, I’m fact have always preferred them to sweets. Had no inkling they may be high sugar!

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
OMGosh really? I used to absolutely gorge on cherry toms. Can eat them like others eat sweets, I’m fact have always preferred them to sweets. Had no inkling they may be high sugar!
Someone told me in a post to ignore this post. Certainly Waitrose cherry toms dont taste sweet . However my readings were high yeaterda and today so maybe id better do a controlled experiment - with toms , without toms

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Drummer that is a ridiculous and untrue statement. You’d need to eat 28 cherry tomatoes to get the 15g carb recommended to treat a hypo. Not only is it completely impractical to carry around and eat 28 cherry tomatoes when hypo, but they would be way too slow acting as you’d have to digest them all to raise your bg.

Attachments

• AC4EA8AE-BF2E-432E-AA25-A3456C0B6630.png
    AC4EA8AE-BF2E-432E-AA25-A3456C0B6630.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 3

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

It was probably me who told you to ignore it @Jenny105

@VickyHW There is nothing wrong with cherry tomatoes and they’re not high carb. You can eat them :)

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Someone told me in a post to ignore this post. Certainly Waitrose cherry toms dont taste sweet . However my readings were high yeaterda and today so maybe id better do a controlled experiment - with toms , without toms

If you’re LADA you might need insulin. If I drank water and ate absolutely nothing at all, my blood sugar would go higher and higher. The problem isn’t the food, it’s the lack of insulin in the of Type 1/LADA.

Cherry tomatoes are fine.

Last edited:

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
The Nurse is going to phone me this week to go thru the levels . Then they will decide about the LADA.
Im not sure Im eating enough. Probably only 10-15 grams of carb. I really dont know how many I am supposed to take. So Im probably doing the wrong thing completely. :-0
The levels went down after exercise and meal. Up again at tea time
Thanks for your input

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
There are cherry tomatoes which were on sale this year (according to BBC Radio 4) which have twice the carbs of an ordinary salad variety, the extra being sugars - and they are so easy to eat.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Nurse is going to phone me this week to go thru the levels . Then they will decide about the LADA.
Im not sure Im eating enough. Probably only 10-15 grams of carb. I really dont know how many I am supposed to take. So Im probably doing the wrong thing completely. :-0
Thanks for your input

As I said on your other thread and I think someone else did too, if you are LADA and you cut the carbs, you run the risk of masking the LADA and not getting the correct diagnosis. Then that will drag on and you’ll find it harder to shake off your incorrect label.

I can’t remember exactly what I suggested but I think I said eat a normal moderate amount of carbs and used the new potatoes advice as guidance. So if you’re saying you’re only eating 10-15g per day, then no, that’s not enough.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your input
Be sure to emphasis just how low carb you are eating - I was told I was a very bad diabetic, at diagnosis, but got down to Hba1c of 41 eating 50 gm of carbs a day. As an ordinary type 2 it made me feel so well, and it might be the same for you if you are still producing some insulin - but your HCPs need to be fully aware of all relevant facts.

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
There are cherry tomatoes which were on sale this year (according to BBC Radio 4) which have twice the carbs of an ordinary salad variety, the extra being sugars - and they are so easy to eat.
Twice a very small amount is still a small amount.