Carbohydrates - bad for sugars , but what about weight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi . For reasons I wont recall I ve not had an issue with weight since my Type 2 diagnosis. I need to limit carbohydrates in my diet to lower glucose levels. Im wondering if I can have more carbs than a normal ''diabetic diet'' because weight loss isnt an issue. Or are Carbs restricted for all diabetics because of their link to sugars? I wondered if I'm being over cautious with the carbs. I'd like to put back on a little more weight.

Hi . For reasons I wont recall I ve not had an issue with weight since my Type 2 diagnosis. I need to limit carbohydrates in my diet to lower glucose levels. Im wondering if I can have more carbs than a normal ''diabetic diet'' because weight loss isnt an issue. Or are Carbs restricted for all diabetics because of their link to sugars? I wondered if I'm being over cautious with the carbs. I'd like to put back on a little more weight.
The only way you will know if a higher amount of carbohydrates will be Ok for you is to test before and 2 hours after meals, if having more carbohydrate for that meal does not increase your blood glucose by more than 2-3mmol/l then it should be fine. That is the basis on which many people determine what amount of carbs to allow themselves per day in order to keep blood glucose where they want it to be.
It might be those who take insulin don't have to restrict carbs but still might choose to do so.

The only way you will know if a higher amount of carbohydrates will be Ok for you is to test before and 2 hours after meals, if having more carbohydrate for that meal does not increase your blood glucose by more than 2-3mmol/l then it should be fine. That is the basis on which many people determine what amount of carbs to allow themselves per day in order to keep blood glucose where they want it to be.
It might be those who take insulin don't have to restrict carbs but still might choose to do so.
Thanks I thought that was the answer . Im only testing once a day - ish. So sounds like the sugars thing is the determining factor. No need for more posts. THANKS. ps I need to update the info attached to my posts. Ive posted about how i can do this?

Hi Jenny. For those living with T2, carbs are the major factor in managing our blood sugar levels.

If you would like to add a bit of weight, I suggest rather than increase your carbs that you increase the amount f protein you eat, and further consider fattier proteins. That doesn't necessarily mean you spread butter on your cheese, but that you look towards fattier cuts of meat, like lamb, belly pork, oxtail, beef sort ribs, or in fish, mackerel, salmon. All very delicious (provided you eat meat of course!

If you adopt that approach it could help with your weight, although it might take a while.

ps I need to update the info attached to my posts. Ive posted about how i can do this
Hi Jenny, click on your name in the top right hand corner, and it should show a menu. Click on "Signature", then you should be able to see and edit the information under your posts. Click "Save" when you're done.
Sarah

Thank you for your replies and helpful suggestions. Duly noted and some actioned on. Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back