Carbohydrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Can you tell me what is the recommended daily portion of carbohydrates you should eat please.

Thank you
There is no set amount. The ideal situation is to eat what will keep your blood glucose levels in the normal range, as that should result in normal Hba1c levels, with any luck.
Using a blood testing meter to check after meals is the best way to be sure of what to eat and what to avoid.

I think it is more what is suggested rather than recommended as everybody is different in their tolerance of carbohydrates but a good starting point is no more than 130g per day. It is better to have the carbs fairly evenly rather than a large amount at any one meal.
But as suggested a blood glucose monitor allows people to find the amounnt at any one meal by testing before eating and after 2 hours aiming at no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase and as levels come down no more than 8 - 8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal.
You are aiming at 4-7mmol/l fasting or before meals.

Edit- so as not to confuse, the OP is Type 1, I had not noticed the other post. Apologies

Last edited:
Hello,

Can you tell me what is the recommended daily portion of carbohydrates you should eat please.

Thank you
Might I suggest that you update your "relationship to diabetes" to Type 1 as this might have a quite significant impact on the answers you get. Assuming that your diagnosis as such has been confirmed.

Might I suggest that you update your "relationship to diabetes" to Type 1 as this might have a quite significant impact on the answers you get. Assuming that your diagnosis as such has been confirmed.
How do you know the OP is Type 1 ? as yes it will make a difference to the replies. The question doesn't suggest Type 1.

Hello,

Thank you
Check out the Bertie Course on line. It's the same principles as the famous Dafne Course (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) And explains Carb Counting, Carb Portions and relating them to insulin doses.

If you’re Type 1, you can eat pretty much a normal healthy diet. I eat what I would have eaten if I didn’t have Type 1. What insulins are you on?
Hi. You are lucky. I have to keep my carbs down fairly low otherwise my BS skyrockets regardless of my insulin shots. Also the more carbs you have the more peaks and troughs you have with the insulin.

Hi. You are lucky. I have to keep my carbs down fairly low otherwise my BS skyrockets regardless of my insulin shots. Also the more carbs you have the more peaks and troughs you have with the insulin.

Yes, people can vary 🙂 No, I don’t have peaks and troughs (most days!). interestingly, and counter-intuitively, a higher carb very low fat diet can improve insulin sensitivity noticeably. Not that I eat that - I just have good sensitivity - but it’s interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back