Carb Guessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpurpleduck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just wanted to express my frustration at eating out!

Last couple of days have been quite good for me - mostly single figures. Then went out for lunch today, underguessed my carbs and have been high since. So mad at myself! Grr!

Em
x

It's impossible to get it perfect when estimating foods when eating out - but would you really want to take scales?!? Actually, some places will tell you the weight of ingredients and / or CHO contents - fast food places and chains are often the best (information online or on tray paper liners or posters or menus), although cooks / chefs in some independent places will help if you ask. Personally, I prefer to give less rather than more insulin initially when estimating food CHO, then have an adjustment dose later, if needed. It's OK to have high readings once in a while - eating out with friends / relatives is worth it!

My control is generally pretty tight, so eating out levels always shock me when they get up into double figures! I don't have a huge experience yet, but like Copepod, I tend to underdose as it appears I am more concerned about having a hypo whilst out with friends. Perhaps I don't trust my friends to notice!

I just do the best I can, and it usually works out well, the best way to get good is to keep doing it, eventually you will be able to tell just by looking.....🙂

Its far better to underdose when eating out and unsure about the carb content of your meal. This is specially so if you are driving home afterwards, a high bg can always be corrected later and a hypo will only disrupt your enjoyment and could potentially have serious consequences behind a steering wheel. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back