Carb counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Parrott

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Despite doing well on LCHF I have never actually weighed anything for accurate carb counting. Until today. Wife finds it annoying though.:D

I'll be interested to know what your results adventure brings. I wonder if you'll find you're eating more o less than you would have estimated. 🙂

Initially, when I started my food diary, weighed my usual portions of foods, to give myself an idea of "what I ate". I could never have been bothered, without good reason, to weigh my food every time I ate.

It's all good learning. 🙂

Well here's my diary so far for today.
Breakfast: Alpro coconut yoghurt & berries (5.4g carbs) BS before: 6.1, 2 hrs after: 5.7
Lunch: 2 slices nimble toasted with cheese (16.5g carbs) BS before: 5.0, 2 hrs after: 6.7.
Dinner tonight will be a crustless quiche with salad & a few celeriac chips.

Well excellent so far.

I'm like AndBreathe - don't weigh everything always, only 'educated guesstimates' having long since weighed eg the contents of one of my big kitchen spoons full of rice, pasta etc.

However I say this to everyone - if you aren't careful one's 'usual servings' do tend to get larger! - so it's best to check again every so often!

'Carb creep' is a very very easy man trap to fall into, however unintentionally!

Tonight's dinner will be awkward. We are having a shop bought quiche but I'm leaving the pastry. No idea what the carbs will be, I would imagine very low.

Tonight's dinner will be awkward. We are having a shop bought quiche but I'm leaving the pastry. No idea what the carbs will be, I would imagine very low.

If shop bought is Tesco or the like, their website will give you indicative nutritional information and the ingredients. I'd not guess too low as most of the eggy/cheesy topping will have flour in it as a thinkener, plus whatever veg is in it.

Most of the supermarkets to crustless quiches now; certainly Sainsbo's do. If you look those up, you could get the drift?

Great.🙂

That was a rubbish quiche.:( It was Aldi's speciality range & was more pastry than topping. Can't be many carbs with what I managed to scrape off. Don't recommend at all.

I make a lovely quiche with almond pastry, so practically no carb at all, had it with salad last night for supper. The almond pastry is 375g of ground almond, 30g of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and 2 eggs. A sod to roll out, but if you do it between two pieces of grease proof it works well. You absolutely have to bake it blind though no corner cutting (20 mins gas Mark 6). I also use that pastry recipe for chocolate torte at Christmas, where the filling is made from black beans, egg, walnuts, raw cocao powder and a splash of maple syrup. A pudding that's full of nutritional value and low carb, what more could you ask for! Oh it's also delicious, which is key of course.

Thanks guys. I'll try those reipes. The only reason we had a shop bought quiche is that we had friends coming over at short notice. Then we forgot to put it out.🙄 Good blood results though as only ate salad & celeriac chips. 5.2 before & 5.6 after.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back