Carb Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My dsn has still not introduced carb counting to me, so i thought ill have a go at it on my own.

Were is the best place to get a carb counting book from thanks Scott

Hi Scotty I to have recently started I was steered towards the collings gem carb couting book you can get it from Amazon for around a fiver it is brilliant.

Err basically I was told that the 'recommended' carbs for a non diabetic are 230 grammes a day.

So Try and get down to that level and see how your BG numbers go.

From there you can see how well you are doing.

The Collins Gem Carb Counting book is a goldmine of advice and carbs for all sorts of foods.

I too have the Collins Gem Carb Counter little book. I too am experimenting how many carbs my BS levels can comfortably deal with. It seems with me that 30g per meal seems to be OK although the other night my main meal was 42g and the reading was acceptable but of course it does depend if you have lower GI foods, that helps a lot. Am learning every day, hope you get on OK with it all.

Err basically I was told that the 'recommended' carbs for a non diabetic are 230 grammes a day.

So Try and get down to that level and see how your BG numbers go.

From there you can see how well you are doing.

The Collins Gem Carb Counting book is a goldmine of advice and carbs for all sorts of foods.

Hi Tez,
I like your approach and your posts but Scotty is a Type 1. he needs to know how many grams of carbs will match each unit of bolus insulin, and if that carb number varies in the course of the day.
As a rough guide ( to be corrected by trial and error) DAFNE suggests 10 to 12 grams of carb per unit of insulin as a starter.
The Joslin programme suggests 12 to 15.
John Walsh, an American CDE, has written what some believe to be the best explained advice in this area, best to google him

Hi Tez,
I like your approach and your posts but Scotty is a Type 1. he needs to know how many grams of carbs will match each unit of bolus insulin, and if that carb number varies in the course of the day.
As a rough guide ( to be corrected by trial and error) DAFNE suggests 10 to 12 grams of carb per unit of insulin as a starter.
The Joslin programme suggests 12 to 15.
John Walsh, an American CDE, has written what some believe to be the best explained advice in this area, best to google him

but peter, thats the point isn't it? Scotty asked for some help regarding carb counting and thats what we're doing? Again with the distinctions...type 1 or not, reducing carb intake will help numbers, especially if you calculate and are below the reccomended intake of carbs 🙄

Scotty: I am self taught, and I started by giving 1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbohydrates. I'm still trying to work out my ratio's fully as I haven't been on a proper course. If you want any help feel free to pm me

Hi Scotty I wish you well in getting better control, and although your DSN hasn't started you yet I would advise speaking to her first, I've forgotten how long you've been in the club, and although it is the best way (as far as I know) I wouldn't want you to get in a situation that you're not prepared for because you wanted to do something quicker than your nurse wanted you to.

Either way good luck there's lots online and on this forum to steer you the right way, or re-direct you if you get lots, like a diabetic tom-tom/garmin! I'll stop now!🙄

I use Amazon a lot, but also play.com or any good high street book shop.

The library might have some if you want to try before you buy.

Last edited:
The Collins book is the best (in my opinion) compact, full of pretty much all info you need.

I'd also suggest you ask your dietitian or as your DNS for a referral as it is these good people who run DAFNE or carb counting courses.

You're entitled to see a dietitian, so ask.

Carb counting really does give you a vast amount of freedom to manage your lifestyle back, being able to eat [within reason] what and when you want, or more precisely between meals.

I have both John Walsh 'Using Insulin' and Gary Schiener ' Think like a pancreas'. Both should you how to work out your insulni doses and how many carbs 1 unit of insulin will cover.
I think that the Schiener book is a bit simpler.

Your DSN and dietician should be able to get you started if you ask them, might be worth getting an appointment.

I just wanted to say the collins gem carb counter book is avialable from WH smiths for ?3.99 I paid more at amazon .

I just wanted to say the collins gem carb counter book is avialable from WH smiths for ?3.99 I paid more at amazon .

i got mine from amazon marketplace for about 80p i think. I paid more for postage than the actual book 🙂 if you don't mind it slightly used and beaten up then click on the used and new link they have 🙂 mega bargainaicious

Thanks Guys your help and info is brilliant 🙂

Just a thought, but if you are planning on weighing your food, the GEM Calorie (yes that's right the calorie one - I got a free copy when I did my carbohydrate counting course recently) counting book is good as it gives the carbohydrate per 100 g of the food.

Good luck with whatever you do. 😉

I am currently finding it wonderful to be able to eat in general what I fancy and then work out how much insulin to take for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back