carb counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carynb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
J is on such small amounts of insulin that I have been told it's impossible to calculate an insulin:carb ratio. He is on N'rapid 3.5 u at b'fast, 1.5 at lunch, 1 at tea and 5 u Lantus.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Caryn

Yep!

I have exactly the same problem myself! I'm not even using the Lantus that is sat in my fridge, which is for various reasons. I only use 2u NovoRapid boluses. I'm told that when I come out of honeymoon, it will be easier to calculate. I tried to calculate it myself before, but a) I forget the ratio I cam up with, b) it's probably different in an adult than a child and c) it was pretty much impossible to do without a half unit pen!

Becky

J is on such small amounts of insulin that I have been told it's impossible to calculate an insulin:carb ratio. He is on N'rapid 3.5 u at b'fast, 1.5 at lunch, 1 at tea and 5 u Lantus.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Caryn

Hi

Becky is right. Once you come out of honeymoon it will be a whole lot easier to manage (in theory).

I have a friend whose daughter is only a tiny bit more than that but it has crept up as she has come out of honeymoon, not a lot but certainly up. The best thing you could be doing now though is just carb counting, ie practicing as you will need it and if you can do it you will way ahead when the time comes.

Thanks Adrienne, I've started reading about it so hopefully it won't be too daunting when we actually start using it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back