carb counting scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone bought a carb counting scales? and if so would you recommend it and if so which ones?
many thanks xx

Hi,
We just have normal digital scales and find them perfect for the job. I do know people who use the more expensive ones - but to be honest, I have also heard that they can be more trouble than they are worth and also inacurate aswell.🙂Bev

Hi,
We just have normal digital scales and find them perfect for the job. I do know people who use the more expensive ones - but to be honest, I have also heard that they can be more trouble than they are worth and also inacurate aswell.🙂Bev

OKAY THANKS... YOUR DIGITAL SCALES ARE THE ONES WHERE YOU PUT A ORANGE ON THE SCALES FOR EXAMPLE AND IT WILL TELL YOU THE CARB?

Hi Chezpez,

No - mine are just the ones where you weigh something and work out the carbs from the weight etc..The ones your talking about have had a bit of a bad press i am afraid, they have been proven to be less than accurate and i think (?) that the list of foods is not as detailed as you might think. In fact, I think it was someone on here who told me this as i had thought about getting some for myself - but they werent recommended. Perhaps someone who has some will be along soon and let us know just how good/bad they are in practice.🙂Bev

Hi,

I got some of the nutri scales from Lloyds pharmacy. I think they were about a tenner. I find them quite useful. Bev, is right, the list of foods that they have isn't enourmous but it is everyday stuff that's in there. You have also then got the normal scale to work out stuff that isn't already programmed in there based on its 100g weight.

Personally for 10 quid I think they are worth it.

lesley x

Hi,

I got some of the nutri scales from Lloyds pharmacy. I think they were about a tenner. I find them quite useful. Bev, is right, the list of foods that they have isn't enourmous but it is everyday stuff that's in there. You have also then got the normal scale to work out stuff that isn't already programmed in there based on its 100g weight.

Personally for 10 quid I think they are worth it.

lesley x

Thanks, sounds like i'll look into those scales for a tenner, at least it wont break the bank.. cheers everyone xx

Thanks, sounds like i'll look into those scales for a tenner, at least it wont break the bank.. cheers everyone xx

Where abouts in Cheshire are you? I have just started on a pump and I will (apparantly) get a free set of scales which do this so if you are close enough then I will gladly let you have my "old" scales if you want!

Lesley x

You can beat a set of Salter digital scales. I have the all singing all dancing ones that you put an orange on and it tells you the carbs. They are fantastic, I can't recommend them enough but they will break the bank !! I got them for about ?65 a couple of years ago. This is them :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-1450SVBKLQDR-Electronic-Nutri-Weigh-Computer/dp/B000A7ZE8G

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=5010777119831

http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=1450SVBKLQDR

If you like cooking then you can enter your own recipes. For example I made a lasagne from a recipe book. I entered all the ingredients (didn't take long) and now when I make it I just dish up a portion on Jessica's plate which on the scales and bingo there is the carbs !!!

I have lots of friends and we all bought these. They are expensive though.

I used to use another set of Salter digitel that was great as well and measured liquids as well ie milk !

You can beat a set of Salter digital scales. I have the all singing all dancing ones that you put an orange on and it tells you the carbs. They are fantastic, I can't recommend them enough but they will break the bank !! I got them for about ?65 a couple of years ago. This is them :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-1450SVBKLQDR-Electronic-Nutri-Weigh-Computer/dp/B000A7ZE8G

http://www.coopersdirect.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=5010777119831

http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=1450SVBKLQDR

If you like cooking then you can enter your own recipes. For example I made a lasagne from a recipe book. I entered all the ingredients (didn't take long) and now when I make it I just dish up a portion on Jessica's plate which on the scales and bingo there is the carbs !!!

I have lots of friends and we all bought these. They are expensive though.

I used to use another set of Salter digitel that was great as well and measured liquids as well ie milk !
Thats great will have a look! thanks xx

Oops just realised I wrote 'you can beat.......' I meant ' you can't beat a pair of salter scales.......'.

Really should read what I write before toasting....... oops posting 😉

Adrienne, wow what an idea! I didn't know any of these actually worked...

However the reviews on Amazon are pretty dreadful for this product -- do you find it slow or awkward to manage, like people say there?

We have a standard Salter digital, you know, the one that re sets to zero etc with anything on it...

I'd love something that kept some track of what we always cook, though, and also could do some of the calculations...hard to believe!

Like it says on amazon, with a banana: does it weigh with the skin then, and know what to do with it?!

Okay, nuff wittering...

This one seems to be the new version of the one you mention Adrienne:

http://www.salterhousewares.com/sal...scales/nutri-weigh-slim-electronic-scale.html

Is this the same thing? I'm all confused, and quite fancy trying one (asking for one for xmas, indeed!)...but don't want to get the ones that don't work, as Bev says. Which ones don't work?!

No fraid not. You can't put your own recipe in these ones.

The ones I use may well be the ones Bev is talking about but unless you try them you can't really say. I read about it being slow and the numbers sticking. What I find is that there is a milli second of a delay so yes a bit slower than say hitting a letter key on a computer keyboard. The food is probably more American than food but they have all the basics and then some! You have to take it at face value. They have foods in there already which would have had to be made up and you have to decide whether to trust the scales or not.

All apples are different, look at the back of the packets in the shops. So that means all the books are different, so the scales may be different. Things like bananas I have taken it as though they are in their skins as I base it on the knowledge I have and that seems to agree with the scales.

Yes they could be built a bit better but I wouldn't swap them for the world and would buy them again once mine pack up unless there is an updated version which, as yet, I haven't seen one.

On the email list loads and loads of us bought them. The stock all went from Littlewoods and Amazon so it shows how many of us bought them. We all love them but they are not perfect due to the slight slowness of the buttons but hell, I'll wait !!

Does that help?

In relation to bananas, the gem calorie counter book says that unpeeled, they are 23?2 g of CHO per 100g of banana, and the dietician at the CHO counting course I went on reckoned that with peel thay are about 15 g per 100. I have been using this value since and it seems to be OK (though I was shocked at just how much a banana weighs in the first place! 😱

In relation to bananas, the gem calorie counter book says that unpeeled, they are 23?2 g of CHO per 100g of banana, and the dietician at the CHO counting course I went on reckoned that with peel thay are about 15 g per 100. I have been using this value since and it seems to be OK (though I was shocked at just how much a banana weighs in the first place! 😱

Bananas are amazing aren't they. If I eyeball one, then a medium one is about 22 carbs, those tiny kids ones between 15 and 18 cho buta big one is about 28 to 30 carbs. Grapes are another one. They are about 2 carbs each for a good sized grape, nightmare.

Yes, I'm always staggered by bananas too -- I end up thinking, that *can't* be right, and pay for it later...And grapes! So harmless, but so high in carb. Drag, because we love grapes...

Where abouts in Cheshire are you? I have just started on a pump and I will (apparantly) get a free set of scales which do this so if you are close enough then I will gladly let you have my "old" scales if you want!

Lesley x
I hope this reply doesnt come up twice pc crash! - anyway i'm from Congleton, but have family further up north in Stockport so there a lot too. I bougth the tenner scales from loyds chemist and they're okay, though did weigh out all bran and it was a different carb amount to the box and had a hypo.. so i will keep trying.
xx
where you from?

I hope this reply doesnt come up twice pc crash! - anyway i'm from Congleton, but have family further up north in Stockport so there a lot too. I bougth the tenner scales from loyds chemist and they're okay, though did weigh out all bran and it was a different carb amount to the box and had a hypo.. so i will keep trying.
xx
where you from?

Oh dear. Hope you ok now.

If you have the box or packet I would always go by that rather than the scales, whatever scales they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back