Carb counting - just not getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastirion

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Usually I'm banging on about my neuropathy during the night but that is getting much better thanks to pregabalin.
Yesterday I had a huge hypo its really scared me. I'm 66, live with my dog was diagnosed Jan last year went on insulin May last year. Just need 1 unit Novarapid morning and lunchtime and am very careful about what I eat during the day but then in the evening it all goes wrong.
Yesterday aftenoon i went to the gym (don't I sound a goody too shoes!) then sat in the garden. Had a glass of red wine, a huge steak and salad but because it was so hot couldn't be bothered with a sweet. Because my BG reading is often high when I go to bed I took 8 units. Walked to the park across the road, remember feeling tired the next thing I'm on the floor. Knew I had to get up couldn't find my keys eventually got up and found keys nearby. Got home, remember a car avoiding me. After several wine gums, glass of milk and digestives got my sugar up. Felt rubbish all evening and as though I'm just getting over aa stomach bug but all this will pass.
The thing is I find carb counting just doesn't seem to work. I'm very busy during the day but idle in the evening so need a lot more insulin but just can't get it right. Also I read somewhere that steak is so high inb protein that it does something to the liver so not as much insulin is needed - anyone know anything about this? Don't seem to be able to find a carb counting rule of thumb - any help?
Thankyou if you have bothered to plough through this - I needed to get it off my chest.
Luv Joan & Jay xx

Hiya, the first thing that springs to mind in terms of the hypo is the combination of alcohol and exercise. Alcohol can cause hypos as the liver is so busy dealing with the alcohol, it stops kicking out the small amounts of glucose it normal sends out.

Is there anyone on your team you can ask about carb counting? A good little book is the Collins Gem Carb Counter book which lists all the nutritional info for thousands of food. Obviously ratios is something personal, but again your team may be able to help 🙂

The reason for your hypo is that you ate a carb free meal. Virtually no carbs in salad and none in steak. Plus, you NEVER NEVER NEVER have insulin when you are drinking alcohol! Alcohol sends the levels up due to the sugar - but then later you will drop like a bomb.

So it seems the combination of the two above factors has contributed to the hypo. Then add in to the mix the fact that you went for a walk in this heat will have also added to things. Heat and exercise make the absorption of insulin so much quicker than normal and the fact that the insulin had no real food to 'work' on meant you were heading only one way - hypo!

I am assuming that the 8 units was novorapid?🙂Bev

well the first thing that sprang to my mind was a steak & salad wont contain any carbs, so taking insulin for that wouldnt have done any good & then the walk after aswell.

im just starting carb counting myself & i know it can be hard at times to get things right!

Hi Joan

the rule of thumb I suggest you ask your DSN/team to help you with is your ratio. How many units of rapid acting(bolus) insulin per 10g of carbohydrate. Then it's a matter of working out the total amount of carbs in your meal and injecting the appropriate dose of insulin. For example if you were on 1u:10g CHO then your 8 units (if rapid acting insulin) would have needed 80g carbs. Apporx 8 hens-egg sized potatoes for example.

Since you skipped your sweet (which would have contained fast acting carbs) the insulin dropped your blood sugar levels into a hypo. The exercise and walking during the day would have added to this effect (using up even more bg) hence the steep drop into a nasty hypo.

carb counting

hey just sending you some carb counting 'good luck'. I'm doing it for my son and despite trying to get it we still have random days. the heat makes his blood sugar levels high so i have to be careful how much outdoor play he does in this heat.

rachel

I can only agree with the other posters that lack of carbs, heat, exercise and alcohol are contributed to the hypo. I would suggest taking fast acting carbs with you when you go out would be a good idea so that you can treat straight away.
If you are eating a meal and having alcohol then you would need to inject for the carbs in the food, but you might want to consider the alcohol in the amount you are taking. DAFNE does teach about alcohol and how much insulin you need to cover certain types of alcoholic drinks. Maybe you could ask your DSN to get onto a DAFNE or similar course to help with your carb counting.

If 1 unit works for breakfast and lunch then work out how mnay carbs you are eating for those meals and it might help you work out your insulin to carb ratio.

Thank you all for your advice. As I have mouved areas I have lost my clinic and waiting to hear from new one but when I do I will try to get on a DAPHNE course. Missed out on a lot of info last year cause I was too ill bu ok now. Doesn't that poor girl having a hype whilst driving put ones life into perspective.
Joan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back