Carb calculations for own cooked food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Over the weekend I invested in a new breadmaker very nifty little unit costing less than 50 quid from Argos I'd had a previous model some time ago from the same manufacturer which had departed from its useful service due to overuse!

The bread coming out of this breadmaker, my own slightly modified recipe a nice light wholemeal is getting better and my chief taster, Bruce considers the recipe is now perfected.

However, it got me wondering, an average slice of bread has something in the order of 15 to 18 g of carbohydrate per slice. The wholemeal flour has I recall 68 g of carbohydrate per 100 g of flour. In the case of baking does one simply add the total weight of all known carbohydrates before baking and then aimed to approximate the distribution across say 10 slices (assuming a 10 slices from a loaf) being the total uncooked carbohydrate content or is there a calculation that needs to be applied given the dough has been baked to give it a new carbohydrate content?

Sorry if the answer to this question is blatantly obvious, however I note on some uncooked foods that carbohydrate content changes from its raw state to when it's been cooked and was wondering if this is the same with bread?

Many thanks in advance!

As you say, go with the uncooked amount of carbs you put in and divide by per slice. The cooked and uncooked weights on packets are different usually because the cooking process causes addition or loss of water altering the weight of the product, the carb value won't change. For example, if you had something weighing 100g that had 10g carb per 100g, if you boiled it in water it would take on water so weigh less but would still contain that 10g carbs, meaning that the cooked value would show as fewer carbs per 100g. If the cooking process causes it to loose water then it's work the other way.

Just to cause confusion, on one of the wiegh watchers programmes I did about (a long time ago) we were advised to weigh slices of bread, even uniformly sliced bread had different weight slices!

Just to cause confusion, on one of the wiegh watchers programmes I did about (a long time ago) we were advised to weigh slices of bread, even uniformly sliced bread had different weight slices!

Thanks both, just wanted a sanity check - I'm not sooo sad (?) as to weigh each slice of bread.

Thanks both, just wanted a sanity check - I'm not sooo sad (?) as to weigh each slice of bread.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, so you must be a genius...

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, so you must be a genius...

Thank you :D I have/had an IQ of 158 at one stage, so yes, a member of Mensa or was it Mencap?? 😉

can anyone recommend a good counting carbs book?.. one that has easy to understand. x🙂

can anyone recommend a good counting carbs book?.. one that has easy to understand. x🙂

There is a section of book reccomendations on these forums where you may find something good.

You could also try your local library and see whatthey have before you buy. Amazon has a good selection of carb counting and GI books, but iti s also worth browsing you local book shop too.

Over the weekend I invested in a new breadmaker very nifty little unit costing less than 50 quid from Argos I'd had a previous model some time ago from the same manufacturer which had departed from its useful service due to overuse!

The bread coming out of this breadmaker, my own slightly modified recipe a nice light wholemeal is getting better and my chief taster, Bruce considers the recipe is now perfected.

However, it got me wondering, an average slice of bread has something in the order of 15 to 18 g of carbohydrate per slice. The wholemeal flour has I recall 68 g of carbohydrate per 100 g of flour. In the case of baking does one simply add the total weight of all known carbohydrates before baking and then aimed to approximate the distribution across say 10 slices (assuming a 10 slices from a loaf) being the total uncooked carbohydrate content or is there a calculation that needs to be applied given the dough has been baked to give it a new carbohydrate content?

Sorry if the answer to this question is blatantly obvious, however I note on some uncooked foods that carbohydrate content changes from its raw state to when it's been cooked and was wondering if this is the same with bread?

Many thanks in advance!

G'us the recipe then! My wholemeals tend to turn out a bit 'heavy'. This site is an on-line version of carb-counting for diabetes, but has lots of useful stuff about how to work out dosing etc. It also has lists of foods with their equivalent carbs and CP units, including flour, so you might be able to work out roughly how many carbs are in your ooaf and go from there.

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Good luck!

There is a section of book reccomendations on these forums where you may find something good.

You could also try your local library and see whatthey have before you buy. Amazon has a good selection of carb counting and GI books, but iti s also worth browsing you local book shop too.

There is a list of foods, including take-away type food, and their carbs in the resources section of this site: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Unfortunatley it doesn't include some of the 'raw' ingredients of recipes - meat etc. You could try a general search on the internet for carb charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back