Car insurance and licence type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revdeal

Relationship to Diabetes
Cystic Fibrosis Diabetes
Hi if I have to start taking insulin and inform the DVLA and my car insurance, is anyone able to share there experience of this can additional cost implications?

Last edited:
Hi Revdeal

My blood glucose levels are not stable either at the moment. I do know though that illness, worry and stress can cause levels to rise, also if you have needed to take a course of steroids they play havoc with levels rising too high.

I am unable to advise on your insulin query, but I am sure many others can.

Hope all goes well for your op, I think its advisable to contact the diabetic nurse at the hospital if you are high prior to your op. Check with the Helpline, they will be able to advise further.

Have your other medications changed as some may have the side effect of increasing blood glucose.
Sometimes just eating less doesn't help unless the foods are the right ones.
Obviously with your gall bladder issues you will have to be careful of fats but keeping a food diary of the carbs you are having may help you see if your intake is still too high for your body to tolerate if it is more than 130g per day, you libre should help with that as well.
It may be you will need some oral blood glucose lowering medication to help. Once you have some data from your Libre then you should discuss with your diabetic team on a course of action to improve your level so you can have your surgery.

Hi @Revdeal, my car insurance didn’t increase when I went onto insulin back in 2007 (!) and subsequent renewals with various insurance companies have been pretty much in line since.

The online forms now have type of driving license as a standard option (so you can state 3 year restricted / medical license) and this year the companies I used for quotes all asked for your driver number to retrieve details from the DVLA so they would know I am on such a license due to insulin anyway.

Hi @Revdeal, my car insurance didn’t increase when I went onto insulin back in 2007 (!) and subsequent renewals with various insurance companies have been pretty much in line since.

The online forms now have type of driving license as a standard option (so you can state 3 year restricted / medical license) and this year the companies I used for quotes all asked for your driver number to retrieve details from the DVLA so they would know I am on such a license due to insulin anyway.
Hi many thanks fir your prompt response this has given me some reassurance. Has yours always been a review period of 3 years and have DVLA always renewed it?

I was already Type 1 diabetic hence on insulin, when I learned to drive and passed my test hence every single full licence I have ever held, has been for 3 years duration. Nobody normally has a prob renewing unless they have some eyesight or another additional medical issue - as long as you can truthfully say you still meet all the medical and eyesight requirements of holding the licence.

Hi many thanks fir your prompt response this has given me some reassurance. Has yours always been a review period of 3 years and have DVLA always renewed it?
Same as @trophywench says - I have always had 3 year duration licenses and after the first time of completing medical review form and waiting for DVLA to get doctors reports, etc., the renewals have all been seamless and quick. You just have to confirm no changes and that you are hypo aware as far as I remember. But there has never been an issue getting a new license and DVLA have always mailed me plenty of time in advance to get the renewal (at no cost either).

Hi if I have to start taking insulin and inform the DVLA and my car insurance, is anyone able to share there experience of this can additional cost implications?

There's no increase in cost of insurance, but you have to notify them that you have a restricted licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back