Can't Sleep - Phantom Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning, sorry to hear you’re going through this pain. I don’t have any advice I’m afraid.

Phantom pain is caused by inappropriate signals from the nerves in the leg stump, including phantom positioning of the non existent leg. So the treatment is difficult, but can be done. Standard pain relievers are not usually effective, but some folk benefit from Amitryptiline, which is an antidepressant, but occasionally useful in neuropathy. There is also gabapentin, and pregabalin, which were born as anti epilepsy treatment, which work better.

You need to discuss this with your GP initially, but in the meantime look on your preferred search engine for amputee groups who have far more information on this condition, and its treatment. There’s far more people with this condition than are on this forum.

Let us know how you get on.

Sorry to hear about your pain @MikeyBikey. My mum takes an anti-epilepsy drug for chronic nerve pain - she can’t do without it. I hope you find a solution asap.

Phantom pain is caused by inappropriate signals from the nerves in the leg stump, including phantom positioning of the non existent leg. So the treatment is difficult, but can be done. Standard pain relievers are not usually effective, but some folk benefit from Amitryptiline, which is an antidepressant, but occasionally useful in neuropathy. There is also gabapentin, and pregabalin, which were born as anti epilepsy treatment, which work better.

You need to discuss this with your GP initially, but in the meantime look on your preferred search engine for amputee groups who have far more information on this condition, and its treatment. There’s far more people with this condition than are on this forum.

Let us know how you get on.

I am actually on Gabapentin every 8 hours. Despite this I seem prone to random severe bouts of phantom pain. The other day was the middle of the night but the next was early evening. It was discussed at my GP review (did medication review at dame time). I could up dosage but don't really want to if I can avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back