Can't keep my levels up for some reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I dropped to 3.2 at around 4pm so had a couple of jelly babies - normally enough to bring me up, but half an hour later only 3.3. More JBs, but still 3.3 before tea (spag bol + ice cream and peaches). Just feeling low again and 3.6 and falling. Very strange - don't think I've experienced this before😱

Quite difficult writing this as eyesight wobbly!

Hi Northey,

I wonder if its the cold weather? Alex has a sore throat and was 15 on waking - so put him on temp basal - but then he was hypoing for the rest of they day (i took temp basal off once he hit 5) - it was really cold here today.

I wonder if the spag bol and ice cream may have caused an initial low and you may go higher later? Did you split the dose? I hope your feeling ok and have lots of hypo treatment in.🙂Bev

Stop writing and concentrate on getting your levels back up.

Since you've had a lot of hypos today and could make it harder to be alerted to another,you should probably make sure you are not going to hypo again during the night by having a snack before bed.
See what happens tomorrow and if you get a similar pattern then might be worth considering a drop in basal, as it seems like it could be basal rather than bolus as you were low again before tea. Have you started running again? increased insulin sensitivity?

Hi Northey,

I wonder if its the cold weather? Alex has a sore throat and was 15 on waking - so put him on temp basal - but then he was hypoing for the rest of they day (i took temp basal off once he hit 5) - it was really cold here today.

I wonder if the spag bol and ice cream may have caused an initial low and you may go higher later? Did you split the dose? I hope your feeling ok and have lots of hypo treatment in.🙂Bev

Thanks bev - no colder than normal here, and I don;t usually have a problem with spag bol. I've just opened a new bag of JBs and there are hardly any green ones - mostly red! Hurrah! Just worried about zooming high later, bloomin' diabetes! (Curse! Spit!😱)

Dear Northerner,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I've found this can happen without warning sometimes. The main causes in my experience are too much alcohol the night before, a delayed reaction to exercise, a missed snack an hour or so earlier or perhaps you've had a meal which didn't have as much carbohydrate in it as you thought?

The worst thing i find is i have tended to 'over compensate' and take too much cabohydrate to correct things, leading to a high later on. I hope this doesn't happen for you.

Sometimes, unfortunately, there's little you can do to prevent or explain it.
I always think it's better to be low than too high as long as it's not for too long.
Hope it resolves itself soon.

Last edited:
I dropped to 3.2 at around 4pm so had a couple of jelly babies - normally enough to bring me up, but half an hour later only 3.3. More JBs, but still 3.3 before tea (spag bol + ice cream and peaches). Just feeling low again and 3.6 and falling. Very strange - don't think I've experienced this before😱

Quite difficult writing this as eyesight wobbly!

Duff insulin batch ? Might that cause lows ?

Hello I've just seen your post and wanted to say thank you for your replies to my posts and I hope that you're back to 'normal' very soon.
And, you can keep the Jelly Babies, its Fruit Pastilles for me - especially yellow and orange!!
Jackie x

Duff insulin batch ? Might that cause lows ?

past experiences say that duff insulin batches are more likely to cause highs.

Hope you're ok Northe, how are the levels doing now? Have you tried juice? A 200ml carton usually does me nicely, rather shoots me up a bit more than i need to be 😱

hope you are okay🙂

I had the same problem a few days ago it took 6 hours to get me above 4 again but it was due to an infection after my c section like you have never had it happen to me before either, hope you've managed to get it to a normal level by now 🙂

Up to 4.4 now - did I really eat that spag bol etc. 3 hours ago? It's like it's had no impact whatsoever! V. strange! Don't think it's the insulin, unless the pen gave me more that I asked it to, and it was fine for my breakfast bolus. Perhaps I've been spontaneously cured! Might contemplate lowering basal dose tonight.

Thanks everyone. Jackie - I can restrict myself to two or three JBs, but pastilles would get eaten by the packet full!😱

Up to 4.4 now - did I really eat that spag bol etc. 3 hours ago? It's like it's had no impact whatsoever! V. strange! Don't think it's the insulin, unless the pen gave me more that I asked it to, and it was fine for my breakfast bolus. Perhaps I've been spontaneously cured! Might contemplate lowering basal dose tonight.

Thanks everyone. Jackie - I can restrict myself to two or three JBs, but pastilles would get eaten by the packet full!😱

northe did you tick that no box again? 😛

Glad you've managed to get it back to normal I hate it when you hypo and treat it but it does nothing! x

Northey,
As you know - hypo's breed hypo's - so can you make sure you have a snack before bed - you like peanut butter on toast dont you? Please have something - even if you run a little high through the night - it would be better than another hypo whilst your asleep!🙂Bev

Northey,
As you know - hypo's breed hypo's - so can you make sure you have a snack before bed - you like peanut butter on toast dont you? Please have something - even if you run a little high through the night - it would be better than another hypo whilst your asleep!🙂Bev

Yes Mum, I will😉:D

Then again Northerner, if you have a spike during the night you'll probably be woken up anyway 'cause you'll be dieing for a pee instead. At least that's what happens to me. Hopefully, neither.
Maybe it's best not to retire too early just so you can wait and see if that spike happens and then do something about it. I'd be surprised if there's no spike.

Well, I am 5.1 four and a half hours after the meal and about 40g extra carbs in the form of jelly babies. I'm often at this level before bed and will have a slice of bread and PB to tide me over. Might watch the Winter Olympics for an hour then test again. If this spike is coming, it's taking its time! Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions🙂

Good morning

Morning, Northerner. How are you doing this morning? What level did you wake on? Take care. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back