Can't get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandma

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well I dont know whats happening latley.Since Iwent on the DAFNEcaurse things have been rugh been up and down with bloods. I have never been like this in 36 years.Yesterday BG 5.9 at breakfast 1weetabix with milk, then at lunch time BG 14.6 did corection for that dinner tine 9.2 but by 9.00 at night down to 2.9 so i am feeling ruff today. BGwere 3.4 at 3.00am. Going to see diabetic nurse on Thursday will see what she says:(

I think a lot of people experience this after going on DAFNE because they begin making changes to the way they've always been used to doing things, and it can make them disheartened. Hopefully, the DSN will be able to give you some reassurance and help to determine what needs adjusting or tweaking - most probably your meal ratios through the day and possibly your basal as well if you are having night hypos. Let us know what she says and we'll see if we agree! 😉

I think a lot of people experience this after going on DAFNE because they begin making changes to the way they've always been used to doing things, and it can make them disheartened. Hopefully, the DSN will be able to give you some reassurance and help to determine what needs adjusting or tweaking - most probably your meal ratios through the day and possibly your basal as well if you are having night hypos. Let us know what she says and we'll see if we agree! 😉

Thanks Northerner, Iam having trouble with the carb counting and insulin dose thing, by the time I get it right my dinner is cold ( haha).This is driving me mad at times, but Iwill keep at it. For years I have had the sameamount of Humalog 3 times a day no matter what I had to eat.(but things were fine). Now they are not. I have Lantus at night.:(

Thanks Northerner, Iam having trouble with the carb counting and insulin dose thing, by the time I get it right my dinner is cold ( haha).This is driving me mad at times, but Iwill keep at it. For years I have had the sameamount of Humalog 3 times a day no matter what I had to eat.(but things were fine). Now they are not. I have Lantus at night.:(

I'm sure if someone told me to completely change the way I do things after 36 years I'd find it difficult - especially if they made it a whole lot more complicated! You might want to consider getting a copy of Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes. You could then try doing your calculations and seeing if they are close to the suggestions in the book. It obviously won't tell you how much insulin you need, but it can be a guide to help give you a little help and confidence.

I was lucky in that I hadn't had time to get used to anything else before starting carb counting. It wasn't as in depth as DAFNE, but I've worked out that my ratios change quite considerably from dawn till dusk and this has helped me gain pretty good control - Hba1c's of 5.2, 5.4, 5.6 and 5.6 🙂 I am sure you will pick it up in time! It may also be the case that you end up splitting your lantus, I know a lot of people do.

I'm sure if someone told me to completely change the way I do things after 36 years I'd find it difficult - especially if they made it a whole lot more complicated! You might want to consider getting a copy of Carbs & Cals: A Visual Guide to Carbohydrate & Calorie Counting for People with Diabetes. You could then try doing your calculations and seeing if they are close to the suggestions in the book. It obviously won't tell you how much insulin you need, but it can be a guide to help give you a little help and confidence.

I was lucky in that I hadn't had time to get used to anything else before starting carb counting. It wasn't as in depth as DAFNE, but I've worked out that my ratios change quite considerably from dawn till dusk and this has helped me gain pretty good control - Hba1c's of 5.2, 5.4, 5.6 and 5.6 🙂 I am sure you will pick it up in time! It may also be the case that you end up splitting your lantus, I know a lot of people do.

Thanks Ihave got a Collins little gem calorie counter that has carb and cals in that it is good my last Hba1c was 8.9 had to get that done for the Dafne but the one befor that was 9.7. I think it could just be that at the moment Ijust dont feel well. Went on the Dafne because I was having a lot of night hypos. Just getting me down a bit at the moment.But ill get there soon Ihope thanks:(

I must admit to slight reluctance to going on DAFNE course, as I'm not really prepared to weigh food etc. Perhaps, in part, I'm protecting myself from potential disappointment. So far, estimating and reading labels when possible, works OK. I've been doing so since diagnosis 15 years ago, although not because of any guidance from health professionals, just because I realised that different meals have different carbohydrate content. In any case, I have no idea of the varieties, let alone carbohydrate content, of potatoes we grow in our garden!

I must admit to slight reluctance to going on DAFNE course, as I'm not really prepared to weigh food etc. Perhaps, in part, I'm protecting myself from potential disappointment. So far, estimating and reading labels when possible, works OK. I've been doing so since diagnosis 15 years ago, although not because of any guidance from health professionals, just because I realised that different meals have different carbohydrate content. In any case, I have no idea of the varieties, let alone carbohydrate content, of potatoes we grow in our garden!

Well in the Dafne caurse hand book potato 1 60g =1cp 100g= 1.5 Its the jacket potato that gets me do them in the microwave and there are more Cps than if done in the oven 180g size is 5.5 cps and in oven its 3.5 its things like that I have to keep looking up. Think Imust be a bit thick or is it that im not well that my mind dosent work right.:(

Pretty much like you Copepod, I've been matching carbs to insulin (and more recently evaluating carbs to insulin ratios throughout the day) for 20 odd years with no formal education framework. I've looked into the DAFNE structure and it seems pretty similar to my approach. What it does offer I think are a few more 'rules' about what to do in different circumstances. Strategies for illness etc. I am just thankful that such a course exists for some people. So many others are being put in a very dangerous position with no help or guidance about carbs at all.

Grandma
In your position I would rely not only on your new DAFNE approach but also on the considerable knowledge of portions/insulin doses which worked well for you in the past.

I'd suggest that it may help to view any suggested changes in the light of your own experience. Everyone's diabetes is so different that your version of a successful DAFNE-style framework will be different to everyone else on your course.

If overnight hypos are your particular concern I wonder whether your basal insulin is working properly for you. I used to wake up hypo 2-3 tyimes a week, but this year (although my DSN said that in her experience it just moved the problem) I changed to take Lantus in the morning and have solved my overnight/early morning hypo problem pretty much overnight.

Not saying the same would be the case for you, but it might be worth looking at the activity of your basal insulin overnight. Dawn Phenomenon is often talked about, but the reverse problem also exists. Imbalance in the hormones that cause a dip in BGs between 3am - 8am.

By adjusting your basal insulin timing/dose (or possibly moving to 2 injections of Levemir) you may be able to provide less basal overnight when your body might need less.

Hope you are able to find some answers soon. Don't give up on your DAFNE stuff yet. It can take a while to adjust to slightly different approach.

M

I am sorry to hear your sugars are all over the place, best thing to do if it all gets to much is go to your team, which your doing.....they can then take a fresh look at whats happening and give some solutions..........i believe dafne, the principles are the best way of managing sugars, its just unfortunate how the body does what it wants some of the time..........

As fo the carb counting, eventually you will suss out all the foods in your diet and will be able to pull it off succesfully every time.......

Hope you get some answers............🙂

Last edited:
Pretty much like you Copepod, I've been matching carbs to insulin (and more recently evaluating carbs to insulin ratios throughout the day) for 20 odd years with no formal education framework. I've looked into the DAFNE structure and it seems pretty similar to my approach. What it does offer I think are a few more 'rules' about what to do in different circumstances. Strategies for illness etc. I am just thankful that such a course exists for some people. So many others are being put in a very dangerous position with no help or guidance about carbs at all.

Grandma
In your position I would rely not only on your new DAFNE approach but also on the considerable knowledge of portions/insulin doses which worked well for you in the past.

I'd suggest that it may help to view any suggested changes in the light of your own experience. Everyone's diabetes is so different that your version of a successful DAFNE-style framework will be different to everyone else on your course.

If overnight hypos are your particular concern I wonder whether your basal insulin is working properly for you. I used to wake up hypo 2-3 tyimes a week, but this year (although my DSN said that in her experience it just moved the problem) I changed to take Lantus in the morning and have solved my overnight/early morning hypo problem pretty much overnight.

Not saying the same would be the case for you, but it might be worth looking at the activity of your basal insulin overnight. Dawn Phenomenon is often talked about, but the reverse problem also exists. Imbalance in the hormones that cause a dip in BGs between 3am - 8am.

By adjusting your basal insulin timing/dose (or possibly moving to 2 injections of Levemir) you may be able to provide less basal overnight when your body might need less.

Hope you are able to find some answers soon. Don't give up on your DAFNE stuff yet. It can take a while to adjust to slightly different approach.

M

Well thanks Ihave droped my Lantus from 20 to 14 at 8.45 at night when Itake it. The Dafne educater said Iwas having to much Iwill see what the nurse says on Thursday but it was her that kept telling me to put it up because my morning bloods were high,b but Dafne said that was because Iwas having night hypos. Idont go back to see Dafne educater un till next month. Ill just have to keep at it.:(

I am sorry to hear your sugars are all over the place, best thing to do if it all gets to much is go to your team, which your doing.....they can then take a fresh look at whats happening and give some solutions..........i believe dafne, the principles are the best way of managing sugars, its just unfortunate how the body does what it wants some of the time..........

As fo the carb counting, eventually you will suss out all the foods in your diet and will be able to pull it off succesfully every time.......

Hope you get some answers............🙂

thanks novorapidi26 Yes leaned a lot on the caurse its only been since 17th September Idid the caurse mybe its just me today all on my own hear and not feeling that well. But I dont give up on things so will keep at it.:(

thanks novorapidi26 Yes leaned a lot on the caurse its only been since 17th September Idid the caurse mybe its just me today all on my own hear and not feeling that well. But I dont give up on things so will keep at it.:(

I can tell your a fighter.................hope your day picks up.............the weathers guff where I am.........:(

Its nice hear a bit cold sun is out. Just had my lunch BGs 11.4 so did a corecton agen. Just one of those weeks then not days. Inever mone about it my husbands diabetic as well we just get on with it Ihave just found this site its nice to chat to others that have the same problums. Feeling a bit happyer now.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back