Can't get cannulas comfy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesley1978

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I haven't posted for ages but I have been on the accu chek spirit pump for 4 years now and I had been using the flex link cannulas but started to suffer with pea sizes lumps in the site and the occasional weeping when removing them. I have now been told to change my sites from lower stomach and legs to above the belly button area to avoid absorption issues.

I have now changed to a tendalink cannula so that it goes in at a 45 degree angle but I just can't seem to get them comfy. The flex links were hurting in that area so that's why I changed. Any advice from anyone? I still hate putting them in and preferred putting he flex links in as I couldn't see it so much.

I'm getting fed up now and rather down about it.

X

Hi Lesley, ask Roache for some cannulas to try explain the problem to them as in you are so fed up you are thinking of giving up due to the issues. They wont want to loose the custom, so will be more than happy to send you some samples to try.
Hope you are soon sorted.

Thanks sue, I think I'll have to. I'm gutted cause the first couple of tendalinks were ok so I range Roche and they sent me a couple if boxed out but the one I have just changed now is not right and dreading the thought of having to change it again!!

My son can only use his butt for cannulas (not a scrap of fat anywhere else), so they are well-used sites despite being careful to rotate. I do find that changing the cannula every two days rather than every three prevents the site getting a bit sore looking, and also keeps the insulin absorption efficient (BGs used to be more erratic on day 3 of a set). This might help if you go back to your original cannulas.

For the time being though, if a cannula is uncomfortable it will make your life miserable. It sounds like they are too long for the site you are using. Are you sure they are going in at 45 degrees and not at too steep an angle? Is there anywhere else you could try (some people use arms, or like my son, the top of the butt - if you can reach round).

Thanks sue, I think I'll have to. I'm gutted cause the first couple of tendalinks were ok so I range Roche and they sent me a couple if boxed out but the one I have just changed now is not right and dreading the thought of having to change it again!!

Hopefully they will take the unopened boxes back and exchange for something more suitable for you.

Have you tried sides? Or back? Those are decent spots too. I've been using silhouette (Medtronic angled) there for a year or more

Hi Lesley, oh no, sorry to hear :(

I started trying TenderLinks a few months' ago. The rep watched me inserting and told me I was doing them too steeply, they should be somewhere between 20 & 45 degrees. They are much longer (13mm) so if you're inserting too steeply, it could be contributing or causing the discomfort.

I have had crazy struggles getting the back bit of sticky stuff off smoothly without dislodging the cannula each time (I feel like an idiot that I can't get this bit right)! After many bodged attempts, I now take the remaining bit off BEFORE I pull the metal introducer needle out, but I have to admit that it hurts at the time. I also noticed anyway that the pimple left behind was bigger & occurred more frequently, and because of the insertion angle, left a bigger entry hole! All in all I've almost abandoned them, except....I figured I may as well use them in leaner areas which wouldn't get used otherwise with 90 degree sets.

Maybe try a shallower insertion & see if that helps?

I know of folk who are very happy with them though and don't have an issue with scar tissue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back