Cant bring my blood sugar down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markmids

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon guys
Just after some advice please.
I'm currently taking novamix and was told to take 25 units twice a day before a meal, I've been taking it the last few months but it's just not working, the other day I felt strange not well, I checked my BS and it was 26.5 , I called 111 and spoke to a doctor who told me to up the units by 5, so I've been taking 30 units and after 2 hours of eating ,still in the 20s , I woke up today and BS was 22.
Took novamix and had breakfast...2 hours later 22.5....my doctor and Diabetic nurse are useless... I'm really frustrated and not sure if I should up my dose.
Thank you for reading.

Good afternoon guys
Just after some advice please.
I'm currently taking novamix and was told to take 25 units twice a day before a meal, I've been taking it the last few months but it's just not working, the other day I felt strange not well, I checked my BS and it was 26.5 , I called 111 and spoke to a doctor who told me to up the units by 5, so I've been taking 30 units and after 2 hours of eating ,still in the 20s , I woke up today and BS was 22.
Took novamix and had breakfast...2 hours later 22.5....my doctor and Diabetic nurse are useless... I'm really frustrated and not sure if I should up my dose.
Thank you for reading.
That is very high blood glucose so I would suspect your dose is not sufficient to deal with the meal time carbohydrates you are eating. The regime you are on is fairly inflexible as it is not allowing you to tailor your insulin to the food you eat.
Blood glucose can go high due to illness so that could be the reason.
As your levels are high do you have a means of testing for ketones with urine test strips as it would be wise to check.
You should probably discuss with your nurse or GP going onto a basal /bolus regime as that would allow you more flexibility.

Are you remixing the insulin before each dose?

Have you modified your diet to restrict carbs?

As @Leadinglights has alluded to, at the levels you're reporting DKA is a risk, so I'd recommend purchasing some ketostix to check for ketones.

Hi leadinglights
I did ask about a ketone testing machine but was told I don't need one as I'm type 2
It's very very difficult for me to get appointments with my diabetic nurse or doctor...its crazy.

Are you remixing the insulin before each dose?

Have you modified your diet to restrict carbs?

As @Leadinglights has alluded to, at the levels you're reporting DKA is a risk, so I'd recommend purchasing some ketostix to check for ketones.
Hi, I'm not sure sure what you mean by remixing insulin, just take 30 units before breakfast and another at tea time.
Didn't no I could purchase the strips, I'll look into that thank you.

I'm not sure sure what you mean by remixing insulin
Novomix is as it's name suggests, a mixture of a long & short lasting insulins. You should be manipulating the pen to mix the two types together as per the leaflet that came with it or online here. They call it resuspending.

If you haven't been doing that I'd start again with a new pen, as you may have altered the ratio by just injecting mostly one type,

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure sure what you mean by remixing insulin, just take 30 units before breakfast and another at tea time.
Didn't no I could purchase the strips, I'll look into that thank you.
They are a dip stick for urine which you compare to a colour chart, you can usually get them at the pharmacy for about £5 for 50.
There are some of the more sophisticated blood glucose monitors that do ketones as well from a blood sample but they are more expensive and the strips are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back