Can't apply my Libre sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanieMLW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This sounds like a really ridiculous thing to be having to post, but I have completely lost the knack of applying my sensors. I've been applying them for a year no problem, and I had a dodgy one a few months ago which jammed halfway through the application and 'stabbed' me, which was quite painful! Ever since then, I just cannot seem to be able to apply them. Almost like I've lost my nerve, and they just jam and become useless. My husband has been doing them for me, so all good, but he's away for three weeks and I've just gone to change my sensor and have screwed it up again. It's like I'm not pressing hard enough or something - they jam after about 1cm so I just get the end of the needle in my arm and then they're useless.

Has anyone else ever had this sort of issue? I feel like it's a bit ridiculous and I'm wasting sensors because they're useless after I've jammed them. I'm also getting super frustrated and feel like I'm letting myself down - I should be able to do this and I just can't get it to work.

Any advice appreciated. I keep telling myself to just pull myself together and whack it on there, but it's like I'm having some stupid mental block.

I have a needle phobia @StephanieMLW and I very slowly and gingerly watched an application video on Youtube. I watched it a number of times and then followed along, pausing at each stage. You might find doing that focuses your mind on ‘doing it properly’ and allows you to do it correctly.

In actual fact, it hurts more if you mess it up, so that’s an incentive to ‘shoot’ properly and fully. It’s a case of calm, slow persistence and determination. Think what you need to - eg think ‘through’ it, think about your reward for a correct insertion (watch a nice video, have a biscuit, etc etc). What’s important is to get back to doing it yourself. Familiarisation helps reduce any stress.

Thanks @Inka . I used to have a pretty bad needle phobia pre-diabetes, so maybe it's creeping back in a little bit. I know that rationally if I apply it properly it's painless, I just can't see to get myself back on track! I'll try watching a video and see if that helps. I feel so much like I've let myself down every time I screw it up, and then I get angry and upset - last time I threw the sensor across the room and accidentally smashed a wine glass, my poor husband was watching on like what on earth is she doing :rofl:

@Satan’s little helper yes I try and place it squarely on the site so that I'm applying even pressure - I thought initially the angle of my arm (holding it up by my ear) might have meant I'm not applying the pressure evenly and therefore causing the jam. I'm wondering if I just need to press harder than I am doing. It's likely I've totally forgotten how to do it 🙄

Thanks @Inka . I used to have a pretty bad needle phobia pre-diabetes, so maybe it's creeping back in a little bit. I know that rationally if I apply it properly it's painless, I just can't see to get myself back on track! I'll try watching a video and see if that helps. I feel so much like I've let myself down every time I screw it up, and then I get angry and upset - last time I threw the sensor across the room and accidentally smashed a wine glass, my poor husband was watching on like what on earth is she doing :rofl:

@Satan’s little helper yes I try and place it squarely on the site so that I'm applying even pressure - I thought initially the angle of my arm (holding it up by my ear) might have meant I'm not applying the pressure evenly and therefore causing the jam. I'm wondering if I just need to press harder than I am doing. It's likely I've totally forgotten how to do it 🙄
When you say “jam.” Do you mean the sensor sticks in the applicator on removal?
There is a certain amount of pressure applied before the applicator places the sensor.

Sometimes the mundane can have the odd metal block when analysing the detail.

When you say “jam.” Do you mean the sensor sticks in the applicator on removal?
There is a certain amount of pressure applied before the applicator places the sensor.

Sometimes the mundane can have the odd metal block when analysing the detail.

Yeah so when it 'jams', it's like I push the applicator and it moves about a cm, enough for the needle to just touch my skin, but then it doesn't move any further. If I click it back to the original position, I can no longer use it, it's completely stuck. I'm wondering whether this is me subconsciously releasing pressure when I feel the needle touch my arm, and therefore it's not applying.

Yeah so when it 'jams', it's like I push the applicator and it moves about a cm, enough for the needle to just touch my skin, but then it doesn't move any further. If I click it back to the original position, I can no longer use it, it's completely stuck. I'm wondering whether this is me subconsciously releasing pressure when I feel the needle touch my arm, and therefore it's not applying.
how are you priming the applicator. Kinda like this? (See video below.)

how are you priming the applicator. Kinda like this? (See video below.)

Yep priming all good! So I've just watched a few videos as suggested and I think the angle I apply at is part of the issue - I think I'm actually moving my arm slightly away in response to the pressure (not on purpose, but I think it's almost a subconscious reaction after my nasty needle stuck in arm experience). I just tried to apply with a different angle - I actually put my hand on my head and arm out to the side and almost 'pressed down' on my head - and application was successful!

Thanks both for your responses - I think this was my needle phobia creeping up on me since I had that negative experience, but now I've 'reset' the angle I'm applying at and have applied one myself, I think I've proven to myself this was just a blip and I can do it on my own again 🙂

I put my hand on my other shoulder and then reach underneath it with the applicator hand, so I am effectively giving myself a hug as I apply it. This helps me to hit a good site and keeps the skin taught and I also find it helps doing it whilst looking in the mirror so that I can see I have it in a good spot clear of any skin blemishes (beauty spots 🙄) I tend to hold the applicator in place for a count of 100 after application before I lift/wriggle it free to give the sensor adhesive a bit of time to get good hold of my skin. My applicator almost never comes off cleanly and any pulling of the sensor at this vulnerable time can lift it a bit causing the filament to kink. It might be a bit of overkill but worth it to me for more assurance of a successful application and full term sensor usage.

I am guessing that you have simply been hesitating as you press to activate the applicator and that is totally understandable if you have a needle phobia and a bad application experience with Libre, so well done for persevering and overcoming it. I hope you have been in touch with Abbott to get replacements for the spoiled ones.

Thanks @rebrascora - yes I think you're right; a combination of a poor angle and hesitation (and kind of losing my nerve) I think are to blame. I actually had CBT for my needle phoabia years ago (before diabetes), and I had to watch so many youtube videos of injections and blood tests in order to desensitise. Watching the youtube videos of sensor applications, even just for half an hour, I think had the same effect 🙂 I will contact Abbott for a replacement today, even though it was user error on my part!

@Thebearcametoo yes I thought of mentioning to my DSN as she had told me before that dexcom application is easier. I think I am eligible for a pump with the new regulations, so a conversation to be had about my tech in general is warranted 🙂

Glad that you have found a solution @StephanieMLW and I hope that it continues to work well.
If you are eligible for a pump it will certainly be worth considering a switch to a sensor that will link to the pump you choose. Let us know ho you get on.

If you’re struggling with Libre ask to swap with a dexcom. The application is easier.
Yes of the actual sesonor it is but the transmitter is rather filddlly. athough it was still be worth trying it you are struggling again it. I mostly don't feel anything with my dexcom one sesonors the very the first one I apllyed I thought it hadn't gone in because I hadn't felt it

One thing I've found really helpful is trying to find a flatter section on the back of the arm to apply it to - it normally hurts a lot less, and it's a lot more stable longterm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back