Cannula removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakiejewell

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all! I'm relatively new to my pump and had a bit of a odd occurrence today and wondered if anyone could tell me if it's a cause for concern please? When i removed the cannula earlier there was a blob of fluid there. I was worried it was insulin but my bloods stayed pretty stable after... Is this normal? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Don't worry about it 🙂

There will be the odd blob and now and then a bleed, but think back to injections the same happened there. I was amazed when I got my first bruise with the pump cannula and then thought back to what my tum and legs used to look like with small bruises all over the place.

When I used to inject I knew it was insulin though because of the smell. As long as it's normal that's fine. Haven't had any bruises yet. Used to bleed and bruise a fair bit with injecting so I'm sure it'll happen at some stage! I'm putting all the cannula's in my tummy so far. For some reason I am uneasy about putting it anywhere else. Do you use different sights at all? Any difference...? Thanks for your help!

Like you I am just using my tummy.

Initially I swapped sides each time I put in a cannula. I found I was tending to use sites close to old ones, then I picked up from the book Pumping insulin the idea of tracking across and then back. I now put the new cannula in next to the old one without overlapping the sticky bits. That keeps them far enough apart. I image three tracks across high, middle and low. I just start at the top and work across then down to the next line, and then the next. That way it is days before I get back to the start.

No problems so far after three years of pumping. I used my legs and tum for injections as there were so many to do in comparison. I love my pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back