Cannot gain control

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I simply cannot gain control of my BS. The past couple of months have been really bad, mainly highs of 13+ (some in the 20s) and lows as low as 1.6 but hardly any within range. I managed to stop early morning hypos by reducing my levemir right down but this meant I was really high in the evenings. Have started to sort that out but now waking at 13+ again so have to start
putting levemir back up.

I called hospital as was due to be seen at clinic in August but they said there are no clinics for the foreseeable future so can't get help there either. Will try to call DN this week but she speaks to me on the phone and I feel someone needs to look at my charts, to see the overall picture. My HbA1c was 6.7% and that is all the team seem to care about but I want to achieve a good HbA1c with good control not because my numbers average out. 😡

Just feel frustrated.

It sounds like you need to split your Levimer into two injections daily as it's not last 24 hours with you, hence the low in the morning if you up to get the evening right, and highs in the evening if you reduce in to prevent hypo's in the morning..

Splitting the insulin into 2 jabs, means that you can ajdustt he PM injection to suit the morning needs and the morning injection to suit your eveing needs..

If you aren't already carb counting to ajust your insulin, it's good to start, give your DSN a phone, ask them which course the do DAFNE or their own carb counting course and ask to go on it..

I haven't done a course for carb counting, have been looking into it though.

Probably daft question but if I split the levemir dose into two injections do I half the dose I am taking now i.e. I am now on 18 units so do I do 9/9 or does it vary?

Will try to speak to DN tomorrow.

It can vary, id take the higher dose at night or mid day to sort that high out in the evenings.
But 9/9 might be a good start and just see how it goes.

x

Hi newbs,

Sorry you're having such problems at the moment. Big hugs to you!

I agree that splitting your dose will probably help.

The best advice I've ever had for when my control is yo-yoing like this is to stop the hypos first, then look at bringing the highs down. Lows often trigger your liver into releasing glucose (& I've found mine always releases WAY too much!), resulting in rebound highs. Then you take extra insulin to correct which makes BG drop to hypo again, and you get stuck in a vicious cycle.

If you focus on stopping the hypos without trying to tackle the highs at the same time, you might find the hypos stop fairly quickly. Then you can look at the time(s) of day your BG is highest and tweak doses to bring these down.

Best of luck!

Probably daft question but if I split the levemir dose into two injections do I half the dose I am taking now i.e. I am now on 18 units so do I do 9/9 or does it vary?

By all means split the dose 9/9, I just started on levemir 3 weeks ago and after finding that it didn't last 24hrs, I split the dose 50/50. After a few days I noticed my morning bg was high, so now I take 2/3 of my dose on the evening and the rest the following morning on waking. Do try and get onto a carb counting course such as DAFNE soon, this will undoubtedly improve your control and iron out some of those pesky high's and low's. Toby.

Not sure what your approach is for food if not carb counting... 10g too much or too little carbs can make the difference for me between high and hypo. There's a bdec (Bournemouth) online course you can do from home which might help.

Yo yo levels are no fun. Hope you find a way to settle then soon.
M

Just a little update - have finally spoken with my DN who wants to see me before we make any changes as she feels that my highs are due to the insulin not being absorbed properly rather than having lost total control for any other reason! I hope she's right but don't think so. I have an appointment with her on 20th October for her to check my injection sites then sort out what changes we are going to make (probably splitting the levemir but she doesn't want me to do that until I've seen her). I will talk to her then about carb counting and am looking at the online site.

Another week of highs but am glad I've got an appointment to see her.

Glad your finally getting somewhere..........

If you do discuss carbs with you DSN I still reccomend the bdec online course, that should famalirize you more with insulin/carb ratios........

In the morning, I need to take 3 units to tackle 10 gram of carbs as opposed to night where 1.5 units deals with 10 gram of carbs......

As you havent delved into this world of carb counting in detail I can only assume that ratios have not been covered too........

Best of Luck.....................

Glad you saw your dn hun, good luck for the 20th x

Nothing worse then highs ...

Just dipped my toe into the BDEC course and finding it very helpful. Need a maths degree to control this diabetes though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back