Cannabis oil for treatment of diabetic perpheral neuropathy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It seems I have this condition. Burning in my feet and toes that keeps me awake at night. I've had chronic, severe backpack in the past and, so far, this is nowhere near as bad. It barely qualifies as proper pain (no doubt it can get worse over time) but it is still costing me half a night's sleep. I've been having some success with Voltarol Gel but don't want to use this beyond the short term.

Back in the days of my (very) severe backpack, it never occurred to my to try cannabis but I have heard of MS sufferers and others with chronic pain getting good relief from the full cannabis drug. It has to be safer as a long term option than opioid, which aren't a long term option anyway.

Cannabis Oil, CBT without the THC narcotic component has received some good press in recent months/years. I'd like to give it a try.

Has anyone tried it or heard of it being used? Did it help? Is it legal to buy this in the UK?

I'm emphatically not looking for narcotic drugs but a safe, legal way to reduce the night time pain and get a better sleep.

Many thanks in advance for your informed advice.

It seems I have this condition. Burning in my feet and toes that keeps me awake at night. I've had chronic, severe backpack in the past and, so far, this is nowhere near as bad. It barely qualifies as proper pain (no doubt it can get worse over time) but it is still costing me half a night's sleep. I've been having some success with Voltarol Gel but don't want to use this beyond the short term.

Back in the days of my (very) severe backpack, it never occurred to my to try cannabis but I have heard of MS sufferers and others with chronic pain getting good relief from the full cannabis drug. It has to be safer as a long term option than opioid, which aren't a long term option anyway.

Cannabis Oil, CBT without the THC narcotic component has received some good press in recent months/years. I'd like to give it a try.

Has anyone tried it or heard of it being used? Did it help? Is it legal to buy this in the UK?

I'm emphatically not looking for narcotic drugs but a safe, legal way to reduce the night time pain and get a better sleep.

Many thanks in advance for your informed advice.
I’ve used CBD for pain and severe cramp but didn’t find it particularly effective. It also tastes nasty to me. Others swear by it so it’s probably worth trying. CBD without the psychoactive THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is freely available. I bought mine at Holland & Barrett and it’s worth buying from a reliable source. Make sure it doesn’t interact badly with other meds like blood thinners.
Prescription cannabis is quite different but is extremely hard to have prescribed on the NHS.
Have you tried a TENS machine? I find that particularly effective.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the information. It has to be worth a try. Please can you let me know which model of TENS is working for you? Sounds as though I should be giving that a go too.

If you are looking for a TENS machine, I have found the MED-FIT 3 to be exceptionally good, easily available from Amazon. It’s a dual channel, for best effect you’ll have to do a session for each leg, using four pads each time. The effect is quite long lasting, though I use it for joint pain, having no diabetic peripheral neuropathy. I also use CBD oil in capsule form twice a day, because that reduces the spasticity in my leg muscles caused by my PLS ( an MND variant). Works wonders. Since that is a neurological condition there is no reason why you shouldn’t try it, but the high doses I use are expensive. You could by two TENS machines for the price of my monthly supply of CBD oil capsules.

I get the CBD oil from Healthspan, because there are many unreliable suppliers on the net. Most reliable suppliers are similarly priced. It takes expensive technology to remove the THC from the cannabis, leaving the effective cannabinoids behind.

Many thanks for the information. It has to be worth a try. Please can you let me know which model of TENS is working for you? Sounds as though I should be giving that a go too.

The one I use is a MED-FIT3 too (Mike may have recommended it to me or the other way round)…we go back a long way). It’s on their site at £31.14 inc VAT. Free delivery.

Amazon have it for £29.95 (Prime).

I hope the cannabis oil works for you @Reptile. My partner has dreadful neuropathy in his feet and ironically he doesn't have diabetes. Cannabis oil didn't work for him. He's also tried TENS machine for his back (exploded discs) but it just makes him feel sick. I really hope you get some relief somehow.

Some people find they can reverse their Neuropathy - sometimes by keeping tight control and some people find the "Neuropathy cocktail" beneficial - this is a combination of supplements which are freely available over the counter. See the .pdf attached and the cocktail is described further down the page. It worked for me... but it was fairly early on after diagnosis and my nerves may have also been helped by tight control. It's worth a try though.

Attachments

I should have the cannabis oil on Saturday and I have ordered a TENS machine that should arrive by Wednesday. In the past, I've had very serious back pain and didn't receive painkillers strong enough. I was eventually sorted by surgery. It never occurred to me to try cannabis but one night I did try alcohol. 3/4 bottle of scotch was very effective and improved my mood. It was more effective than the morphine I was given post surgery but not something I could do or would want to do more than once. If either the CBD or the TENS work, I'll post an update.

Some people find they can reverse their Neuropathy - sometimes by keeping tight control and some people find the "Neuropathy cocktail" beneficial - this is a combination of supplements which are freely available over the counter. See the .pdf attached and the cocktail is described further down the page. It worked for me... but it was fairly early on after diagnosis and my nerves may have also been helped by tight control. It's worth a try though.
I'll certainly try the cocktail. Nothing to lose. The dpn is quite recent in my case but quite unmistakable. Needless to say, I am strictly controlling and monitoring my blood glucose...

BTW, if the cocktail works and reverses the condition I will be eternally grateful for the suggestion to try it.

Good luck with it! Fingers crossed for you. I should say that they use the cocktail on prescription in Germany and have for years. I got rid of tons of references to studies when I copied the cocktail information.

I have been trying this cocktail for about a month now and it does appear to be beneficial. However, I will hold off judgement just in case I am kidding my self and until there is absolute, definite, concrete evidence that it is being effective.

So far all good!

Many thanks to everyone who responded. I'm really heartened by the knowledge and experience that is freely shared here. It makes me feel a lot less anxious and helps keep depression at bay.

I'm in some kind of groove now, diet wise. Eating so much less food and very little carb but without struggling.

If I can turn back the tide on neuropathy I'll probably have a rare bottle of champagne.

I very much hope that I will be able to make a useful contribution before too long.

The one I use is a MED-FIT3 too (Mike may have recommended it to me or the other way round)…we go back a long way). It’s on their site at £31.14 inc VAT. Free delivery.

Amazon have it for £29.95 (Prime).
Hi Amigo, my TENS arrived today. Ie bought a MED-FIT Premier TENS plus.

It doesn't specifically refer to foot pain and doesn't show pads fitted to the feet. I'm just wondering if you fitted the pads to your feet or to the ankle/calf area?

Hi Amigo, my TENS arrived today. Ie bought a MED-FIT Premier TENS plus.

It doesn't specifically refer to foot pain and doesn't show pads fitted to the feet. I'm just wondering if you fitted the pads to your feet or to the ankle/calf area?
Sorry I don’t log in much and have just seen your question. I’ve never used the tens machine in those areas Reptile but I understand you can to good effect. The only areas not recommended to put the pads are;

• the front or sides of your neck.
  • your temples.
  • your mouth or eyes.
  • your chest and upper back at the same time.
  • irritated, infected or broken skin.
  • varicose veins.
  • numb areas.
Hope it’s helping you! Amigo

Hi Patti, many thanks for your suggestion. I have been working on keeping my blood glucose down and also taking the cocktail. I'm VERY pleased to say that the burning pains have gone. At their worst, I had a frame in my bed to keep the duvet off my feet and was taking cbd oil before bedtime (very effective). When standing up, I would get a 'fizzing' sensation in my feet and legs but at night, without the cbd, burning pains that would keep me awake most of the night. Even with the cbd, I would often have to get up at four or five am.

Now: no need for cbd, no fizzing, no frame in the bed, no pain!!! My feet still have a slightly leathery feel but my life is so much better.

I can't say whether the improvement is down to either or both of blood sugar control or the cocktail but it has to be one or both.

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!

This is one of the most beneficial things anyone has done for me.

Awww...so pleased you are feeling so much better.keep on keeping on. Hopefully the leathery feeling will go eventually.

I had a foot check yesterday and apparently am 100% OK.🙂

Wow! That’s amazing @Reptile - really pleased for you. What a transformation.

Thanks. I didn't think neuropathy, once it got started, could be reversed. It's a very unpleasant condition. It's a huge relief to be this much improved...

Cant seem to download pdf. Can you tell me the ingredients?

Hi Jasesonix, I've attached the pdf that was sent to me. If you still can't access the file, please let me know and I will extract the key information as a text file. I hope this works as well for you as it does for me.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back