Candarel/Sweeteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinagal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm really unclear about sweeteners and am labouring under a possible misapprehension that they shouldn't affect my bg levels? Only this morning I had my usual Special K, checked my bloods after an hour expecting the usual 10.9 and nearly dropped when it came up 12.6 😱(I rechecked using another strip and fresh finger and it came up 12.1..).. the only difference from previous days was maybe an extra shake or two of powdered Candarel - could this have made a difference? At the two hour mark it had come down to 8.1 which is still higher than it normally is.. :(

Karina :confused::confused:

As far as I understand it canderel is carb free so shouldn't affect you. Special K is 75% carb-loaded so if the amount you poured into your bowl varied it could have been that. Or more likely the random factor occured!! Do you test when you wake or before meals? As maybe you started the day higher than usual?

Morning reading (1st thing and fasting) was 5.4 and quantity of cereal was just the same as usual.. Mind you, I was catching up on e-mails and checking ebay so it was over an hour after I got up before I had my breakfast which is longer than usual - could that have made any difference? :confused:

Karina

Hmm no idea truth be told! there are so many variables it's a game🙄! Good waking levels tho well done you must be doing something right! Get any bargains on ebay?? I'm looking now!

That might have been it Karina, your blood sugars could have risen slightly between your morning and breakfast. Try having your breakfast at the usual time tomorrow and see if it's back to normal 🙂

Hmm no idea truth be told! there are so many variables it's a game🙄! Good waking levels tho well done you must be doing something right! Get any bargains on ebay?? I'm looking now!

Just won 400 strips for ?67, and 204 multiclix lancets for ?4.49.. Waking levels have been dropping steadily since I've been testing and changing my diet - thanks, I've impressed myself!!

That might have been it Karina, your blood sugars could have risen slightly between your morning and breakfast. Try having your breakfast at the usual time tomorrow and see if it's back to normal 🙂

That's a good idea, might just have been a temporary blip..

Karina

Just won 400 strips for ?67, and 204 multiclix lancets for ?4.49.. Waking levels have been dropping steadily since I've been testing and changing my diet - thanks, I've impressed myself!!

That's a good idea, might just have been a temporary blip..

Karina

Do you really buy test strips and lancets?

It could well be that eating later than normal would have put your levels up. Some people expereince a liver dump because they don't eat breakfast and end up with higher levels. The body wakes up and thinks it's being starved so dumps some glucose into the blood stream.

As Katie suggests try eating the same as normal tomorrow and see if it's back to normal. This could just be a one off thing today, i know it's sometimes hard but one of unusual readings can't always be explained, frustrating as it is. If it becomes a pattern then it's something to look more closely at.

Do you really buy test strips and lancets?

Hi Phil - I'm stocking up until I can get a commitment from my doctor that the practice will give me a decent supply on prescription. Only diagnosed 3/4 weeks ago and practice nurse was at pains to point out that the strips are very expensive and I shouldn't really be testing more than once or twice a WEEK. As for the lancets, I hadn't got round to asking if it was ok to request them on prescription as I had switched from the finger pricker that came with my meter to an Accu Chek Multiclix which theoretically means each lancet can only be used once.. thought they might regard this as wasteful and not prescribe them..

I've made an appointment to see my doc next week and will know more then.

Karina 🙂

Thanks folks - you've put my mind at ease! Temporary blip methinks.

🙂🙂🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back