Cancer meets its nemesis in reprogrammed blood cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
"THE results are holding up very nicely." Cancer researcher Michel Sadelain is admirably understated about the success of a treatment developed in his lab at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

In March, he announced that five people with a type of blood cancer called acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) were in remission following treatment with genetically engineered immune cells from their own blood. One person's tumours disappeared in just eight days.

Sadelain has now told New Scientist that a further 11 people have been treated, almost all of them with the same outcome. Several trials for other cancers are also showing promise.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22029442.800#.UpY1V8TASSq

Wow! That sounds amazing. I had a cousin who died of ALL when he was 13, more than 40 years ago now, it's one of the nastiest cancers. It will be wonderful to know that there's a cure.

Nobel Prize time maybe?

Wow! That sounds amazing. I had a cousin who died of ALL when he was 13, more than 40 years ago now, it's one of the nastiest cancers. It will be wonderful to know that there's a cure.

Nobel Prize time maybe?

I think this may also be what my friend died of, aged 19 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back