Canagliflozin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi does anyone know how long Canagliflozin stayed active in your body. I take 1 100mg tablet daily in the morning. I would have thought its effects would have run out within 12 hours or less. Many thanks

hi does anyone know how long Canagliflozin stayed active in your body. I take 1 100mg tablet daily in the morning. I would have thought its effects would have run out within 12 hours or less. Many thanks

As I understand it, this type of drug eases to about half it's effectiveness in about 10/11 hours. That doesn't mean it is out of your system, and in fact it would take quite a lot longer to achieve that, so each dose does a certain amount of topping up.

Many living with T2 diabetes find their morning numbers are higher than later in the day, so there could be credible logic in taking your medication when you say.

Do you have worries about taking this tablet?

Many living with T2 diabetes find their morning numbers are higher than later in the day, so there could be credible logic in taking your medication when you say.
With regard to when to take your medication: Some will be prescribed with a specific time, for example my metformin prescription specifies 500mg in the morning and 2*500mg in the evening. However, my Doctor never specified times for the rest of my meds.

I can't find the link, but somewhere on the NHS website there is a section on possible on adverse interactions which advises people to ask their pharmacist on the best schedule for taking their meds. When asked, my pharmacist was very helpful, assuring me that asking him for a personalised schedule was absolutely the correct thing to do.

Since any schedule depends on which meds you take, I am not going to give you mine. However, I would strongly recomend that you ask your pharmacist for a personalised medication schedule.

According to the drug information, it advises taking before breakfast each day. The half life i.e how long it takes for the concentration to decrease by half is 10.5 hours for the 100mg dose. Peak of activity is 1-2 hours after taking.
Also people should have kidney function test eGFR before starting it and every year.
Drinking plenty is also important.

As I understand it, this type of drug eases to about half it's effectiveness in about 10/11 hours. That doesn't mean it is out of your system, and in fact it would take quite a lot longer to achieve that, so each dose does a certain amount of topping up.

Do you have worries about taking this tablet?
Hi. When my GP suggested I take this drug to help with my control. I was quite worried. She told me all the possible side effects which scared the life out of me, however I’ve been taking it for four weeks and it has brought my blood sugars down. The problem is I have been having a few hypo awareness episodes. I think that the combination of Metformin and gliclazide is a factor. She has reduced my gliclazide. However I am still having hypo awareness episodes. The lowest my bloods have been is 2.8 which isn’t good. This is mostly mid morning. I think I need to have a conversation with her as to how we move forward. Thanks for the information though

Hi. When my GP suggested I take this drug to help with my control. I was quite worried. She told me all the possible side effects which scared the life out of me, however I’ve been taking it for four weeks and it has brought my blood sugars down. The problem is I have been having a few hypo awareness episodes. I think that the combination of Metformin and gliclazide is a factor. She has reduced my gliclazide. However I am still having hypo awareness episodes. The lowest my bloods have been is 2.8 which isn’t good. This is mostly mid morning. I think I need to have a conversation with her as to how we move forward. Thanks for the information though
Have you been rechecking your bloods, if you get a very low number, especially unexpectedly, or without any symptoms?

Test can be off, if, just as an example, hands were a bit wet when the test was done.

Have you been rechecking your bloods, if you get a very low number, especially unexpectedly, or without any symptoms?

Test can be off, if, just as an example, hands were a bit wet when the test was done.
Thanks for getting back to me. I’m checking when I get up. When I feel hypo. After lunch. Before I leave work as I don’t want to drive low. I’m lucky as my friend uses the same test kit as she’s type one so gives me lancets and strips as my GP seems to think it not a necessity for type 2 to test more than once a week when I lived in London my GP there would give them without question. I do wash my hands well and dry them well before. I just don’t want to keep getting these lows. GP dropped one gliclazide but I don’t think it’s enough. Hba1c not due till June 6 months after me starting the new tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back