Canagliflozin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all new to forums.

I’ve been diabetic for over 20yrs T2. Hba1c up down over the years. But for the last couple of years just can’t get it in normal range. Last reading 10.7 90mmol
I’m on 2 metformin 2 gliclazide twice a day but just not working in bringing them down normal she also started me on statins.
Since starting the statins I’ve had bad joint pain hoping it settles down soon
However since starting the Canagliflozin I’m just not feeling it. Read all I could and scared myself to death
Yes I’m peeing for England and joint pain seems worse. I’m drinking 2 ltr to make sure I don’t dehydrate and I always suffered constipation but seems worse now. Been on them for 8 days now. I’ve started Slimming world so hopefully eating better and more healthy. Been told Canagliflozin can help with weight loss that would be the only benefit that I can see lol Any help and advice on Canagliflozin and other people’s experiences would be great thank you

What is the 10.7 and 90 mmol you mention, was that your last fasting blood sugar and HBA1C? Taken from your arm?

My only advice with canaliflozin is make sure you’re aware of the symptoms of DKA as that can happen without high blood sugars, and make sure you drink plenty.

There are some threads mentioning Canagliflozin here which you can browse through

I think @Felinia takes it and finds it helpful, and we have various members on other members of the ‘flozin family. Keeping well hydrated does seem to be an important precaution, so good that you are doing that.

Diabetes meds always work in conjunction with the combination of a person’s metabolism and the food they are eating, so it may be that adjusting your menu will really help your meds work well - particularly gently reducing your total carbohydrate intake, which will be the aspect of your meals which is having the most impact on pushing your BG upwards.

Hope you find Slimming World helpful. Several members have had success with those kind of organised programmes, but sometimes their plans need a little tweaking in the context of blood glucose management.

Hope you joint pain settles down. It may be that you could ask for an alternative type (eg rosuvastatin if you’re on atorvastatin) which can help some people.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how things go 🙂

It's possible that you may need to drink even more fluids (all non-alcoholic fluids count) as constipation is often caused/increased by dehydration. When I was discussing medication with my practice nurse, I think she said that I would need to drink 3 litres of fluid a day if I went for a flozin medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back