Can you use test strips once the use by date has passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheilagh1958

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wondered do the test strips stop working once the use by date has only just passed.

I imagine they might work OK, but wouldn't like to trust them as it may be that whatever chemical they use degrades after that time, but if it's only just passed then they will have degraded less.

only go out of date on 30th November just wondered if they would be okay to use in December.......will give them a try:D

My meter won't accept out of date strips :(

I found an old pack when I'd run out but an error came up when I tried to program for them.

Optium xceed btw. 🙂

Rob

I found an old pack when I'd run out but an error came up when I tried to program for them.

Optium xceed btw. 🙂

Rob

That's interesting - must say I've never had to try it. I use an Accuchek and you have to put a little chip in that comes with each pot - perhaps the pot/chip have matching timestamps? It would make sense fr the manufacturers to stop you using potentially risky strips.

Optium xceed btw. 🙂

Rob

O dear not the answer I wanted :(:(

Was going to try and see if I could reset the date on the little meter to a month earlier

Some parents off the other list have changed the date on the optium exceed when they wanted to use out of date ketones test strips and it has worked fine.🙂Bev

Damn !! WIsh I'd thought of that ! 🙄

Will remember for next time.🙂

Rob

I once spilt drink all over mine and lost half a pot i was gutted, ive never used out of date ones but ask at your pharmacist Sheliagh they should be able to tell you.

Call me an old cynic but I have always felt that "use by" dates are more about stimulating sales than anything else. I would would be very surprised if tests strips a couple years past the date would not work as well as new ones.

Call me an old cynic but I have always felt that "use by" dates are more about stimulating sales than anything else. I would would be very surprised if tests strips a couple years past the date would not work as well as new ones.

You're an old cynic Rob 😉 But yes, I totally agree!

I use Accuchek and it wont accept out of date strips it has something to do with the little chip, it is not just for making sure you have the right strips in.I all so have the new Accuchek Mobile it has a cassette and no strips to bother about. Bit bulkey but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back