Can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnarob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,

Today I start on phase 2 of Metformin tabs. The doctor put me on 500mg initially to prevent side effects and will now be on 1000mg/day. I intend taking a whole tablet with breakfast and the other with my evening meal. Is this correct?

I was only diagnosed last Monday and I've still got loads of questions:-

I have to see my doctor again on the 1st December. Presumably, this will be to see how I'm getting on. Will she refer me to a diabetic clinic, if there is such a thing here in Norway? How often do you have to get check ups and what gets checked? Although my doctor speaks good English, there is a slight language barrier which doesn't help.

I have a blood glucose monitor and test strips and I would like clarification as to when the best time is to test. I don't want to become paranoid about testing but also see the importance of which foods create spikes in my bg.

Yesterday's results were 11.4, 10, 9.5, 7.6, 7.3, 9.2 and 8.7

I did 3 x 10 minute spurts on the exercise bike, and I really noticed the numbers went down to just over 7 when I did this. I was 7.3 before my evening meal and 9.2 after. 8.7 going to bed.

Does this make any sense and sorry about so many questions!

Donna x

I'd take my tablet with my morning meal and one with my evening meal or just after it.

Great news that you've got a meter and even better news about the exercise. Both are invaluable in keeping BGs under control.

If you are looking for a framework for testing, then Jennifer's Advice is a pretty good place to start. It's quite intensive to start with, but once you've worked out what your body can (and can't!) cope with you can drop back to more 'general overview' type testing.

In the early days when I was working out how foods affect me ( a valid exercise no matter what type of D you have) I would test before a meal and then 1, 2 and 3 hours after. I'd also test before and one hour after exercise. I kept all the results in a little spreadsheet and adjusted my diet according to the results. I kept food and exercise diaries too. It helps to give you a clear picture of what's happening over time

Taking your Metformin with a meal is always a good idea, for most of us it mitigates any side effects. Splitting the dose is quite a good idea too I think, should it also lessen any side effects.

I think you're taking the right approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back