Can you help settle this argument with wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swilko

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had numerous arguments/disagreements with my wife over the simple question as to when one is actually given a diabetes diagnosis?

I have always maintained that it is the blood test that determines the diagnosis, but my wife categorically states that it actually needs the doctor to verbally confirm this. I have tried Google and I think it basically concurs with my wife’s opinion but two HbA1c tests are required before any diagnosis can be given by the doctor.

In my case, I was subjected to three HbA1c tests (Feb13=58, May13=50 and Feb14=86), before the doctor sent me to the diabetic nurse for dietician referrals and putting me on medication. I do not recollect him ever pronouncing me as a type 2 and why did he delay with my diagnosis?
I have also noticed that there are several members who appear to have been diagnosed based on just one HbA1c. How is that possible unless of course diabetes is global and other countries and systems operate differently. Why is it so confusing?

I believe it is one HbA1C if there is diabetes symptoms but two HbA1C tests if there isn’t any symptoms.

I believe it is one HbA1C if there is diabetes symptoms but two HbA1C tests if there isn’t any symptoms.
Gosh, I never considered this. However, I do remember asking the doctor whether I could have a diabetes test (at that time I did not even know the term HbA1c) because of frequent toilet visits and other symptoms. His remark was that I could not possibly have diabetes as it was previously checked. I have never gone back for any consultations with him and always choose any other doctors available at the practice. Thanks for the info.

To me it appears that your initial "diagnosis" was missed or overlooked, so I guess you didn't get a formal diagnosis until your doctor "told you" you were diabetic (in Feb 14 by the look of it) and actually started to refer you for treatment and hopefully all the other checks we are subjected to like retinal screening and foot checks etc. It is likely you were "diabetic" before that 3rd HbA1c in Feb '14 but if it was not noted on your records or you were not informed, then the diagnosis hasn't taken place. To me, the "diagnosis" is what goes on in a doctors head and the decision he/she makes rather than the actual results. For instance, being anaemic can inflate your HbA1c result and make it appear you are diabetic when you are not, so the HbA1c doesn't guarantee a diabetes diagnosis.

Having just read a news article where a man killed his "friend" by running him over 3x with a pick up truck due to an argument over mayonnaise (scary I know and could probably only happen in the USA) it suggests to me that in the interests of a more harmonious life, I think you and your wife should worry less about such minor discrepancies of thought process. 😉

You could have been diabetic for 10 years - the usually accepted threshold is a Hba1c of 48 or more. The fact that your GP was negligent and did not let you know the test results, allowing you to remain ignorant of your situation for years is of little consequence really - though I think you'd be wise to avoid him out of a sense of self preservation.
However - the difference of opinion is all yours to deal with and I wish you good luck with it.

If you want chapter and verse on the subject then look at:

Which are the nice guidelines on diagnosis of T2 diabetes in adults. My reading of it says that diagnosis depends on circumstances and that both you and your wife (and everybody else who have contributed above) could well be right under some circumstance or other.

So, no need to argue. Except maybe about the clarity of the NICE guidelines although I expect there would be more agreement than argument on that.

Interesting read. I always did wonder why I got a single hba1c diagnosis when others want a confirmation.

"If the person is symptomatic, a single abnormal HbA1c or fasting plasma glucose level can be used, although repeat testing is sensible to confirm the diagnosis."
^ sounds accurate in my case.

Thank you very much for the responses and link. My wife and I lead reasonably harmonious life and our arguments are our way of communicating. I think she likes to throw in a remark like “but you are already cured”,to get me to talk about my diabetes. Bless her for showing interest in my condition.

I agree that it appears there have been an oversight with my diagnosis but I certainly won’t be tempted to take up the many No Win No Fee medical negligence claims offers appearing in my junk mail. I think it is bad enough that our doctors are put through so much pressure without me adding to it over a relatively minor matter. Thank you again.

Hi. Have look at your online surgery medical record. If you are officially diagnosed a record of Diabetes Mellitus will appear. If not then ask for it to be recorded otherwise you won't have annual retinopathy etc. My daft Diabetes GP forgot to register me on the system but it got sorted after a while

Number 1 lesson wives are always right.
I wish! - but don't tell my OH pretty please ..... that is something I find wearing about him ie thinking he's always right about pretty well everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back