Can you guess

Gwynn

Without looking it up can you guess what prosopagnosia is.

I have had the problem all my life leading to some rather strange situations.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is that the one where you can’t recognise faces?

Gwynn

Would you believe it. Sent the forum message and within 3 minutes the site crashed. I don't think it was me.

Yes, it is where you cannot recognise faces. But for me its not just faces....places too.

A couple of examples...

On one occasion (at least) I couldn't recognise my own mother!! I got told off for messing her around (but I wasn't and when it first happened I was very young and it just upset me. I felt lost)

On another occasion, more recently, I didn't recognise my own wife and walked right past her in a supermarket. Even when she dame up to me I found it hard to recognise her. Mind you she had had a hair cut. But the experience left me feeling quite fearful.

You may think I am joking but I am not. It is very strange. It is not total, I do just about recognise the people I know most of the time.

It makes watching films and telly quite fascinating and difficult too.

Places are another matter. No matter how many times I may go to a place I cannot remember how to get there. Strange. It makes travelling a bit stressful on my own, novel sometimes though.

And yet I have a photgraphic memory for techical, scientific and mathematical things.

It has led me into a lifetime of engineering and a constant drive for 'data' to analyse. Its as if my understanding of who I am and the world I live in is constructed of data and data structures. Who would have thought that?

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It sounds very like a condition called visual agnosia which is described in Oliver Sacks book The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I knew what it was without looking it up as I’ve just recently read a book in which the protagonist had the condition after a serious head injury. She was accused of murdering her sister but she was adamant she saw someone do it but of course couldn’t describe this person. This is all fiction BTW. I found it fascinating. Her friends etc had to always wear a certain item of clothing so she knew who they were.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fascinating the way brains work. I'm largely the opposite to you @Gwynn - remember places and faces but names ???? - forever having to say Hi how are you? - I'm awfully sorry, I know I've met you but haven't a clue what your name is! And last September the chap said, I'm glad you said that as that makes two of us!

His wife remembered our faces and names perfectly as did my husband them - plus they also knew when & where we'd met before. Deep sigh.

It is weird though - first time I ever went abroad in my life I had deja vu and knew precisely what was round the corner. Must have visited Magaluf in a previous life and I assure you even though it WAS 1969 - I'd absolutely neither drunk any alcohol for 2-3 days nor smoked anything other than Gold Leaf or Senior Service tipped!

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Without looking it up can you guess what prosopagnosia is.

I have had the problem all my life leading to some rather strange situations.
I knew what it is as it’s common in autistic people. When the group I go to can meet in person we use name badges to help those who have prosopagnosia. I don’t have prosopagnosia but I do have aphantasia across all of my senses.