Can we get prescriptions fulfilled abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvercookie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks. Is there a way to get UK prescriptions fulfilled in other countries?

I'm planning a 9 month trip to the Canaries so ideally I'd get more insulin and other supplies while I'm out there. Is this possible?

From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-for-uk-nationals-visiting-spain

Getting prescriptions​

You can use a UK prescription to get medicines, including special food required for medical reasons, in Spain.

Prescription medicines are not free in Spain. With an EHIC or GHIC you get a reduced rate, but you’ll still pay:

• 50% of the prescription price
  • 10% of the prescription price if you have a UK State Pension ‒ you may need to show proof that you’re a pensioner to pay this rate

These prescription charges are non-refundable.

That's so helpful, thank you!

Now I'm wondering what the prescription price is. Do you know if that's the UK price of £9.65 per item or something different?

That's so helpful, thank you!

Now I'm wondering what the prescription price is. Do you know if that's the UK price of £9.65 per item or something different?
I would expect it to be something different.
Have you tried searching online?
I know Spanish healthcare system is very different to the UK. For example, there are more private and less public GPs and hospitals

Sorry, I don't know the price of their prescriptions. I suggest asking on one of the expat forums as they should know. Also check what proof you need to show the pharmacists.

Insulin has a reasonably long shelf-life. My current box of Semglee has an expiry of January 2025. So I'd see if your GP will prescribe enough to cover the duration of the trip & then ensure that whoever dispenses it gives you products with a sufficiently long life.

We are entitled to NHS prescriptions due to residence in the UK.
If you are not resident in the UK, you are not entitled to prescriptions. I believe anything longer than 6 months out of the UK deems you to be non-resident.
Therefore, you may find your GP is unwilling to provide medication for longer than this period.

Google seems to suggest that the maximum prescription before leaving the UK is three months supply. After that, you're required to make arrangements in the destination country. It also suggest that leaving the UK for more than three months will see you removed from your GP's list completely.

It's not entirely clear how much is NHS policy or at the GP's discretion, so I think first port of call needs to be a discussion with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back