Can T2's have a hypo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm sure this question has been posted before but i was just wondering whether i had a sort of 'hypo' on Friday? I tested at 4.7 before main meal and the reason i tested was because i got up from my chair to go upstairs to the loo and i started to feel light headed and dizzy so decided to test. My 4.7 reading is the lowest i've had to date (i think i had a 4.9 reading once but this was after i'd come back from a long ish walk and started to feel 'funny' again. Is this a hypo?

Hope this page helps you carina http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html

My understanding is it is more likely for type 1s to have hypos, but if a type 2 goes over to insulin or certain pills like gliclazine hypos may occur in that instance.Please someone correct me if im wrong x

p.s a 4.7 may not be a hypo i know i had a 4.1 on thursday i think it was and someone said you dont want to go any lower but it is a hypo when it goes below 4, it is less likely for you as well as i see your diet and exercise control.

Last edited:
My doc told me that that a reading of 4 or below constituted a hypo.. however im sure if someone is used to being high, then any significant low, especially a quick one, could make you feel funny

Technically a hypo is a BG of under 4.0 so you did not experience a hypo if you were 4.7.

It is also unlikely although not impossible to have a hypo if you are treated with diet and exercise only.

Also as you said you felt dizzy and light headed after getting up from your chair it's possible that you were experiencing postural hypotension which is a sudden drop in bloodpressure. It can be quiet common in diabetics.

Last edited:
It is less likely for a type 2 to have a hypo, but if your numbers were high and they have come down, you may experience the symptoms of a hypo even thoe you are not having one. Sometimes non diabetics also experience hypos, it depends on when they last ate and what activity they have been doing.

The normal range is between 4 and 7.

Less likely, but not impossible.

A few weeks ago I came over all faint and dizzy and shaky, and when I did my BG level it was 1.9, I've never been that low. In the 10 months that I've been diagnosed, this is the only time it's ever happened, though.

xx

Carina - it sounds more like orthostatic (or postural) hypotension - I get it some times and it's not uncommon with T2's. It's caused by your blood pressure falling when you stand up from a sitting position.

thank you all for your comments, it has helped me understand it a bit better. I often get that 'spaced out' feeling - does anyone else? is it to do with my diabetes do you think? sometimes i worry if i'm going to pass out, that's the sort of feeling it is :-(

thank you all for your comments, it has helped me understand it a bit better. I often get that 'spaced out' feeling - does anyone else? is it to do with my diabetes do you think? sometimes i worry if i'm going to pass out, that's the sort of feeling it is :-(

sometimes when i get up out of the chair where i have been sitting i feel dizzy and sit back down, or other times i get very very hot and my brow is cold with sweat , rather strange but never lasts more then 2-3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back