Can stress cause hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdfast

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After unexpected exercise and stress I am likely to have a hypo. I know unexpected exercise makes me vulnerable to a hypo, but is stress a factor as well? I have read that stress contributes to the opposite, ie contributes to hyperglycemia. I do not find being hypo particularly stressful in itself. I normally carry some glucose or sweet biscuits to take when I feel that I am becoming hypo. I am DM2, controlled (usually) by balance of food and exercise, no medication. Stress and brisk exercise typically go together (late for an appointment!) Many thanks for any comments.

Do you test your BG levels? If so, what sort of readings are you getting when you feel like this. The reason I ask is that if you are not on any medication, then as a Type 2 diabetic, you would be extremely unlikely to suffer a hypo. It is however possible that, if your levels have been very high for a long time and you have suddenly reduced your carb intake, then you may be experiencing what is called a "false hypo". This is where your levels drop to a lower level than your body is used to and so it thinks your BG levels are going too low when in fact they are just dropping into the normal range.

For myself, being late for an appointment and having to rush would almost certainly push my levels up rather than down but they might come back down an hour or so later or I might have to inject insulin to bring them down, it would depend upon the length of sustained activity needed. Ie if it was 5 mins running for a bus, it would have little impact, if it was a 30-40min brisk walk/run then that would drop my levels later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back