Can someone explain this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had a shop bought ready made tuna and cucumber sandwich today for lunch (brown bread) and half a cup of coffee. I tested 2 hours later at 8.4 (i know it's not too bad) but explain this? last night i went for a meal and had steak with a little peppercorn sauce over it, salad, half a jacket potato, a couple of crackers and some cheese and half a chocolate and marmalade pudding, a glass of wine (large) and a coffee and 2 hours later tested at 7.8!! how come?

Hi Carina, the two hour figures are very similar, and these things are never 'on the dot' of two hours, so the big meal might have gone higher eventually (quite a bit of fat involved with the sauce, cheese etc.) and similarly the sandwich might have gone lower ten minutes later. Brown bread is fairly high GI - seeded bread is better - so might have converted to glucose more quickly. Those numbers are actually very good, but it's very difficult to compare different meals. It's not always the quantity, but the type of food - a couple of slices of bread might have had more carb than your half jacket potato, for example.

It said on the pack of sandwiches 23g chd so i thought it would be OK as i try and stick to 20 - 30g of carbs per meal.

when i was first diagnoised and testing all the time bread was one of the worst for me a friend is the bakery COE who make vogel i posted about this a while back i will try and find the link x

If you had checked yourself at 4 or 6 hours after the steak meal - you would probably have been quite high as it takes longer for the fat in the sauce and cake to digest. Also the cheese would have helped to slow things down quite a bit. So, although on the face of it there doesnt seem to be much difference in levels - there probably was.

We can track what happens with different foods using the CGM on the pump - that has enabled us to 'see' just what happens hours and hours after eating.🙂Bev

I had a shop bought ready made tuna and cucumber sandwich today for lunch (brown bread) and half a cup of coffee. I tested 2 hours later at 8.4 (i know it's not too bad) but explain this? last night i went for a meal and had steak with a little peppercorn sauce over it, salad, half a jacket potato, a couple of crackers and some cheese and half a chocolate and marmalade pudding, a glass of wine (large) and a coffee and 2 hours later tested at 7.8!! how come?

Also relevant is what your bgs were before lunch and before the dinner.
And how active you were in the 2 hours.

I found bread doesn't like me either or potatoes but burgen soya is not too bad as it's a low gi & slow release
Granary is not too good for me either so it's just trial & error.
There is some good advice in here as i see you have already had 🙂
I learn something new each time i come in here.
your readings sound pretty good to me
take care

I found bread doesn't like me either or potatoes but burgen soya is not too bad as it's a low gi & slow release
Granary is not too good for me either so it's just trial & error.
There is some good advice in here as i see you have already had 🙂
I learn something new each time i come in here.
your readings sound pretty good to me
take care

psst! Nice to see you back🙂

psst! Nice to see you back🙂

Thanks Norherner 🙂
I write from my sick bed still feeling rough sore throat n sickness & been grieving but back on the mend slowly
missed you all tho

If you had checked yourself at 4 or 6 hours after the steak meal - you would probably have been quite high as it takes longer for the fat in the sauce and cake to digest. Also the cheese would have helped to slow things down quite a bit. So, although on the face of it there doesnt seem to be much difference in levels - there probably was.

We can track what happens with different foods using the CGM on the pump - that has enabled us to 'see' just what happens hours and hours after eating.🙂Bev
So should we check bs at 3,4 and 5 hours to see how high bs goes?

So should we check bs at 3,4 and 5 hours to see how high bs goes?

For high fat/high carb meals it is essential to find out how long it takes your body to digest certain meals. However, i realise that as a type 2 there may be an issue with test strips - this is awful and it must make it so difficult to work out what foods do to your levels. Do your clinic have the use of a cgm (continuous glucose monitoring)? If so perhaps they would let you have the use of one for a week or so - that way you could 'see' what certain foods are doing. I am not entirely certain whether the effects are the same for a type 2 as they would be for a type 1? As you still produce insulin - perhaps this lessens the spike?:confused:Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back