Can sitting still cause insulin resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type1of25years+

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello!
I find each time I go to London for an all-day meeting my sugars run a bit higher and I need correction doses. I used to think it was because of less sleep but last night I had 7 hours and it still happened. I’m wondering now if it’s from sitting down for most of the day. Is insulin more effective if you’re moving about a bit?! I know if my sugars are low I need to move around a bit to get the sugar working so wondering if it’s the same the other way around?!
Ahhhh the complexities!
(It’s not food-related as had my usual weighed breakfast and lunch.)
Many thanks.

Hello!
I find each time I go to London for an all-day meeting my sugars run a bit higher and I need correction doses. I used to think it was because of less sleep but last night I had 7 hours and it still happened. I’m wondering now if it’s from sitting down for most of the day. Is insulin more effective if you’re moving about a bit?! I know if my sugars are low I need to move around a bit to get the sugar working so wondering if it’s the same the other way around?!
Ahhhh the complexities!
(It’s not food-related as had my usual weighed breakfast and lunch.)
Many thanks.
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I think there may be several reasons here, based on my own experience with what insulin/glucose does.
Firstly, when I'm exercising, my glucose levels tend to fall. The body can use glucose more efficiently, with less insulin needed, if muscles are active. So yes, if I spend a day sitting around, which is unusual for me, my levels are higher than if I’m burning off energy.
Secondly, I wonder if you are tensed up, or just geared up for these meetings. I find if I’m going to a meeting and feel a bit apprehensive, or just tackling something that will need concentration and organisation, my glucose levels rise.I think this is because I’m producing more adrenaline, and this signals to the liver to pump out a bit more glucose to keep you ready for the 'fight or flight' scenario.

Personally I find travelling to London extremely stressful, on top of the stress of the meeting!

Tha
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I think there may be several reasons here, based on my own experience with what insulin/glucose does.
Firstly, when I'm exercising, my glucose levels tend to fall. The body can use glucose more efficiently, with less insulin needed, if muscles are active. So yes, if I spend a day sitting around, which is unusual for me, my levels are higher than if I’m burning off energy.
Secondly, I wonder if you are tensed up, or just geared up for these meetings. I find if I’m going to a meeting and feel a bit apprehensive, or just tackling something that will need concentration and organisation, my glucose levels rise.I think this is because I’m producing more adrenaline, and this signals to the liver to pump out a bit more glucose to keep you ready for the 'fight or flight' scenario.
Thank you, so helpful. Yes I had wondered if the annoyance of the meetings (!) could be the main reason why.... it seems bonkers as the rise is so prolonged (I gave three correction doses with little effect today) and the meetings aren’t especially stressful, just irritating, but I guess that really could be why. I will just up all my insulin for those days and try and get out for a walk at lunch I guess.... was curious to know if at other times when insulin isn’t as effective as it usually is at those times of day if maybe it’s due to being too sedentary maybe....

Yes, that's uncontroversial.
Hi. Different Q to whether exercise lowers blood sugars of course, but querying whether, for example, 5 units of insulin at 12pm will respond dramatically differently on two different days where one day has a couple of brief walks up and down the stairs and the other day doesn’t!

It was explained to us that insulin is the key that unlocks the cell wall so that glucose can be used. Exercise mechanically forces the glucose in without need for (as much) insulin. Using big muscles will likely push more glucose in and so require less insulin so walking is good in that respect. So usually movement/exercise will lower glucose levels. Effects of exercise can carry over for 24 hours or so. Stress can raise glucose levels so that may be a factor too.

Thank you everyone. Interestingly on non-London-meeting-days I’m not very active in my job anyway - mainly sitting at my desk or driving - but I probably do more general getting up and moving around occasionally if that makes sense! (As an aside I exercise regularly running/cycling/Pilates/tri training etc but usually evenings).

It was explained to us that insulin is the key that unlocks the cell wall so that glucose can be used. Exercise mechanically forces the glucose in without need for (as much) insulin. Using big muscles will likely push more glucose in and so require less insulin so walking is good in that respect. So usually movement/exercise will lower glucose levels. Effects of exercise can carry over for 24 hours or so. Stress can raise glucose levels so that may be a factor too.
Thank you, yes I guess my general walking about - even just up and down the stairs to make a tea! - could be impacting me more than I realise on typical days!

Different Q to whether exercise lowers blood sugars of course, but querying whether, for example, 5 units of insulin at 12pm will respond dramatically differently on two different days where one day has a couple of brief walks up and down the stairs and the other day doesn’t!

Dramatically differently? I'd guess not, but I wouldn't rule it out. (And sufficiently intense exercise can raise BG rather than lower it.) I'd guess walking up and down stairs would have an increased effect if you were normally unusually sedentary (since it would be a significant difference) but I'm mostly guessing.

I find a notable difference between a sitting down day in the office and a day a bit more active in an office.
Also when I am on-site say a building site there is a difference from just standing around to walking around more.

Ain't it fun...

Really helpful, thank you!! Ain’t it fun indeed, also why no non-diabetic will ever fully get it!! (I’m including the medics in this, ha!)

This is what I generally expect:

Aerobic exercise (cardio, walking, running, swimming, gardening, dancing, supermarket shopping etc etc) = BG falls, insulin is more effective

Anaerobic exercise (things you do at high exertion without breathing eg sprinting, lifting heavy items) = BG rises

Stress (public speaking, being too busy, performing, supermarket shopping!) = BG either rises OR falls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back