Can reading make you smarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There is evidence that reading can increase levels of all three major categories of intelligence. I believe my discovery of Spider-Man and other comic books turned me into a straight-A student.

When I was eight years old, I still couldn't read. I remember my teacher Mrs Browning walking over to my desk and asking me to read a few sentences from a Dick and Jane book. She pointed to a word. "Tuh-hee," I said, trying to pronounce it. "The," she said, correcting me, and that's when it clicked ? the moment when I learned to read the word "the".

Growing up in Teaneck, New Jersey, in the 1960s, I was what Mrs Browning called "slow". During a parent-teacher meeting, she told my mother:
"Daniel is a slow learner." I sat during lunch in the gymnasium with the ? forgive the term ? dumb kids. I was grouped with them during reading and maths: the "slow group".

And then, a year later, I was rescued by Spider-Man. My best friend Dan, who was reading chapter books by kindergarten, had started reading Spider-Man and other comics with some other kid, and together they began drawing and writing their own comics.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/23/can-reading-make-you-smarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back